Dashed

Convert seiko / consew binding machine to standard

I just picked up a nice used seiko lsc-8bv in Bangkok.  Great place for cheap used machines!  Its a binding cylinder bed (I believe it is the same machine as the consew  277) and I’d like to convert it to a standard machine - something akin to the seiko lsc-8b.  Leather keeps catching on the binder needle plate.  Can I just swap the needle plate for the non-binding type plate? It seems I can’t as the feed dog mechanism appears to be completely different.  I’d be grateful for any guidance anyone might have on this type of conversion.  Thanks!

2C0CA56B-8CCB-4D9E-B7EA-C7538B87DEE8.jpeg

Haven`t done the converting on a Seiko LSC but on an Adler 69 and Pfaff 335 for a friend. Adler 69 and Pfaff 335 are the same class machines and kinda similar reg. the mechanism in the arm.

Basically you need a feed dog, throat plate and the arm cover plate of a LSC-8b-1 (or -2) and the screws. Maybe the LSC has some special parts that I cannot see but these are the basic parts for a conversion. I recall on the Adler 69  I also have replaced the frame or bracket the throat plate is mounted to.

Later it should look like this (picture comes from https://brutalforcegear.blogspot.com/)

Should not be a too big issue but finding the parts may be a little challenge.

BTW - you can download the parts list from the SEIKO website. It should show all the parts you need.

http://www.seiko-sewing.co.jp/en/partslist

DSC_0142.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

Many thanks for the quick reply and pic. It appears that the  lsc-8b uses an oscillating feed mechanism  while the lsc-8bv has the feed arm beneath the plate moving horizontally.  There is also a screw protruding from the feed arm that moves the plate back and forth (through a hole in the plate) and connects the arm to the feed shaft.  You can see it in the pic.  I’m a little worried that may get in the way of  the new cover plate.  All that said, I think your guidance is the way to go.  I’ll certainly need these parts no matter what and maybe I’ll get lucky.

Many thanks again!

I just checked the parts list. My bad - you are right! Different feed systems.

But seems there is a needle plate and feed dog for the 8BLH-1 for "plain sewing"

Bild1.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

Great spot! I don’t mind the arm cover plate moving around too much it’s my current needle plate that is chewing up the leather.  If the 8blh plate works, that will be a very simple solution.  Thanks again so much.

Hello Dashed, I can buy the exact same machine locally. Can you please tell me if you managed to turn the machine into a plain sewer? And i f so, how do you like it? Any info is more than welcome, like is this machine capable of handling multiple layers of nylon webbing? Thank you and best regards, Rob (Netherlands)

Hi Rob2613,

I’ve only had the machine a few months now, but it has been great.  I have had it easily punch through 6mm of veg tan and certain it’s capable of more (you have likely seen related YouTube videos.  I have also run it effortlessly through multiple layers of dense nylon webbing.  Two things I did which were simple but really helpful were to swap the needle plate and feed dog for “non-binding” work.  These are parts 17089a and 17565. Links below for parts list.  The original binding plate, feed dog and feet left marks on leather.  If your materials won’t take a mark, like nylon webbing, this might not be a problem.  I purchased the parts from kwokhing .com in Hong Kong along with some additional feet for different purposes.  Second thing I did was to tap two holes on the back of the machine and mount a.suspended edge guide. Also bought at kwokhing, but they are easily available everywhere.

http://www.seiko-sewing.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/PARTS_LSC-8B-1_8BL-1_8BV-1_1.pdf

http://www.seiko-sewing.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/PARTS_LSC-8B-1_8BL-1_8BV-1_2.pdf
And manual

http://www.supsew.com/download/Seiko/Seiko LSC Instruction Manual.pdf

happy to answer any other questions. Good luck

I believe there is a screw made by Seiko to screw the cover plate down so it will not move.

glenn