shelbygray

Best Resource for Learning How to Make Tack?

I am a beginner hoping to get started making my own bridles, halters, spur straps, etc. Who has the best step by step instructions on how to build these items? I'm open to books, Youtube videos, websites, you name it. Just struggling to figure out how to learn to make these items. Thanks! 

That is a pretty broad subject and wide open to different possibilities.  There is a lot of variety in the horse tack arena.  Simple to fancy.  Western or English. The list goes on and on.  There are several videos out there to make all manner of tack.  Tandy has some free patterns in their leathercraft library and probably some videos.  Springfield leather has some patterns and videos...  I'm not sure if I have seen a free video out there that was truly a step by step.  There may be a tutorial on this site so search and find something you like.  Search the web or this site for different items.  Visit a saddle maker.  Make something you need.  One of the first things I made was a simple headstall for a snaffle bit set up when I was out of a job and out of money.  Still ride with it on occasion many years later.  Oh nostalgia.

Back to your question, take your list of what you want to make and decide what you want to make first.  If that is a split ear headstall, search that subject or if it is a set of buckaroo spur straps search that.  Come back here often and ask more questions.  There is a lot of good information here.  Good luck.  

JH Leather has videos on making an English bridle on Youtube.

I've learned a lot about construction methods and dimensions by repairing tack.  I repair friends' tack at no cost with the understanding that I'm in the learning process.  Al Stohlman's books on hand sewing leather and constructing cases have a lot of practical tips.  Also, his book on using and maintaining (sharpening) leathercraft tools is helpful.  JH Leather's videos on making padded dog collars, and raised/swelled leather collars helped me refine my work for padded halters and swelled nose bands.  Bruce Johnson Leathercraft has guides on using a rein rounder (to make round throat lashes) and using a draw gauge to cut straps.  I found quality hardware for tack at Batz Corp in AR.  I wet mold the returns on the straps (around the hardware) and use quick clamps with leather pads to hold the shape while they dry before gluing and sewing.  I usually machine burnish the edges after molding the straps and before assembling them on the hardware then touch up the edges once the project is sewn together.  If you're using a sewing machine there are some tips for sewing up close to the hardware to make a tight connection that causes less wear.  From there, it's practice and a willingness to try again if you're not happy with the first attempt.    

Edited by TomE