Yogeri

Singer 151W2 parts? I need help!

I’m having trouble finding parts for my 151W2, I’m sure that’s not a big surprise to some here… I’m hoping that there is some wisdom you all can share with me? I’m in need of a hook and replacement feet. These seem hard to find when I specifically search the web with “151W”, are there other, more popular, models that share parts with my machine? Model’s that would be a whole lot easier to locate parts for that would also fit my 151W2? I’ve seen some ‘zig-zag’ hooks/gibs that LOOK very much like mine does but the reference numbers are different. 

thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge!

I have a 108w20 - basically the cylinder arm version of the 151w. The feet of the 111w and 108w fit w/o problem but depends on what foot you need for your needle plate. There are many different feet for the 111w series.

Do you need a complete hook or just hook parts? Bobbin case and other hook parts except the hook body (263141) seem to be the same as for the 107w / 143w (I have both). The hook is basically the same as for the 107w / 143w I think but it has a different mount. The 143w hook has 2 prongs and yours (I guess) has a hole where the shaft goes in and it is pinned, right?

This is from a 143w parts list - please compare with the 151w parts list.

Hope this helps a little bit.

grafik.thumb.png.36b67e84282f3b56b93a9f5c13c92041.png

Constabulary, thanks a ton for your reply! Yes my hook does have the mount that goes over the shaft with set screws. The hooks otherwise are very similar. I was quoted $290: for a new one, which isn’t really worth it to me. But perhaps with what you’ve shared with me, I am a bit closer to solving my problem. I am attaching some pics, in one you might be able to see how worn the hook point is, and hence why I can’t get the 151 timed properly without needle scrape, if that makes sense. 

thanks again!

8BEA9138-02B7-405A-BE6D-4F61F0DD2170.jpeg

4ABBCB95-861D-48D3-B026-8ADDD54CCE1C.jpeg

I cannot see the hook tip of your hook. But maybe the timing is just 1 timing belt tooth off (don´t know). You know what I mean? Or maybe the hook tip is too far away from the needle? What needle system are you using? Maybe its just the needle bar that is set too high (happens with the time that the NB rises a little bit)

Holy Smokes! Don´t know where that offer came from but $290 IMO is a rip off. Even for a rare part and even when it is OEM Singer.

Here are two hooks from the UK - maybe worth checking with them:

https://www.dowlings-sew.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Hirose_HSH-51-1

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/hsh511-hook-and-base-hirose

or look for HIROSE HSH-51-1 hook.

Edited by Constabulary

I have a 151w1 and when I wanted to return machine to stock and needed needle plate and feed dogs and the cover plate to the right of the needle plate I called Ralph's in Denver. They bought all the old Singer parts when Singer gave up on repairs back in the day. I paid like 60 for the three parts and found the original feet for about 30 online (cutex sewing supplies ebay). If anyone has the hook assembly for a fair price its Ralph's. I run 135x1 size 16 needles with v46 nylon thread on light layers like ripstop. Its the only machine that doesnt pucker 2 layers of ripstop in my arsenal. Is it a real walker that can handle decent thickness? No not really people modify them all the time to do bigger thread and needles and sew stuff like leather but IMO thats a waste of time the upper thread tensioner is fixed without a moving pin to open and close it so thicker thread up to v92 up top can be used but maxes out the tensioner and makes pulling tails a pita. Needle system can be changed to dbx1 but one has to move hook over and again its a pita feed dog has to be dremeled etc. 

edit- The bobbin case assembly for a 107w1 does not fit the 151w1 hook assembly or vice versa. I tried it on two 107's just to see. It wont snap in and sit. It is the same bobbin though. 

Edited by Dream4est

Thank you both for trying to help me out! To answer some of your questions/comments: I’ll include a pic of my hook at the needle, this is the best timing I can get it with the needle tip just grazing the race on the needle’s way up. If I lower the NB any more the needle will scrape/deflect.

the main issue with this machine is there are missed stitches, and the hook contacts the thread, damaging it, then all hell happens with binding and thread strands breaking! 

I’m intrigued by the timing belt being off, to try this should I advance or retard one tooth? Seems the lower shaft is primarily for rotating the hook, upper for needle/feet movement, correct?

I have the hook almost touching the needle, but not in the scarf where I’d like it, see pic…

I’m using 135x1 needles, there’s a 22 in it now. But I’ve tried smaller ones as well. With different types/sizes of thread. Pretty much the same issues. 

The pics of new hooks show a ‘sharp’ point, mine looks to be worn, I’ve sanded with 1200 grit to remove any burrs and notice it looks more like a blunt chisel. But it definitely isn’t pointy, I’m wondering if a new one would be longer and hence hit in 20710F64-6ACB-4BD1-B73F-43168D447262.thumb.jpeg.3a1b61e6e63d062b54cb35b8c2e6f4d9.jpegF2B94985-4955-4FEC-9395-7A6C39858865.thumb.jpeg.7a5410950bbe6fe398ec35ddc353f1e4.jpegthe scarf area better? 

I will have to decide if a new hook is justified, if that’s the best thing to try at this point, or at least that’s what I think. Real nice to know they are at least available from the places you’ve shown me, I really appreciate it!!

Maybe I should stick with my 31-17, and deal with its limitations. It is a champ on mostly flat work with 138/92. I’ll hand stitch everything else until I can afford a ‘real’ leather machine. But it WOULD be cool to get the 151W2 in working shape for sure. 

thanks again and again! You are the best! 

Yeah, in your case you cannot lower the NB any further.Your hook tip definitely looks badly worn / ground down so the hook tip no longer catch the loop in the correct position. I honestly think you have to replace it. The original hook tip is longer and steeper and has a sharp pointed tip. This is a 143w hook (see below)

If it was my machine I definitely would look for a reasonable priced HIROSE HSH-51-1 hook.

EDIT:

I just measured the distance hook tip to hook body. But my hook is old and maybe the tip is a bit worn already and maybe there were tolerances between the parts lots made at different times or by different manufacturers. But maybe it helps to judge your hook. This is a OEM Singer hook 241394 as shown in the picture I posted. ;)

IMG_5029.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Here is my hook I think i got lucky this 151w is in pristine condition no slop or play and hook looks good. It only took me a couple years to dial it in lol. It was a binding setup that was totally thrashed but machine was still in great shape just needed to replace the binding parts. Now good as new. 

singer151w1.3.jpg

Wow, after looking at both Constabulary’s and Dream4est’s hooks, I’m wishing I had a bigger one! No joke implied, nope not from me…

before I mess with the timing belt, or any other adjustments, I think if I want to use my 151W2 a new hook is in my 

I’m going to measure my hook as I’m curious how it compares to Constabulary’s 143W at 11mm. Seems like even one mm longer would help. 

Happy you guys have similar machines and keep them employed!

thanks!

Just an update so you all know I’m listening and learning! I’ve ordered a new hook as per Constabulary’s suggestion and link, Dowling’s was the better deal. I also ordered a set of smooth feet. Hopefully I can post a successfully made project made on my 151W2 once I get her running true.