TestTube

What makes a good or bad hot foil machine?

As the title asks: What makes a good or bad hot foil machine? Why are some 150$ and others 1000$+? What features should I be looking for?

We do not know what models you talk about please pots some pictures or links.... some may have an automatic foil feed and it also depends on how big the heating element is / what size or kind of stamp it can hold....

i recently got a hot foil machine from China.. about $170 SGD (~ $125USD) incl shipping or $100 SGD (~$75 USD) for the machine alone , though they have a slightly cheaper, smaller one (with smaller heating element). in fact a complete alphanumeric set (3x each char) cost 2.5 times the machine.

the heating element is about 3x4 inch and is bascially a press with the heating element attached. For it's price, everything is manual.. there is no foil holder at all and no markings on the base plate.. What's worse is that the stamping die is connected to the heating element by use of a m5 threaded bar. In order to be able to remove the die, there must be clearance between the heating element and the base plate. However, with the clearance, the stamp is not able to meet the base plate.. the wooden board is used to raise the stamping bed a bit higher, though i have since changed it to a MDF board with graph paper for better and consistent positioning. the back of the base plate has a 1mm thick acrylic piece used as a stopper for the MDF board..

So the question is, is it worth it? Yes.. for my personal use only.. its very manual.. but it serves my need for its price. 

i would think that for a $1000 machine, you would want something with the ability to

1. change the dies easily (slide in/out) instead of a threaded rod..
  2. have a positioning guide or markings
  3. foil holder 

i spent about $700 SGD ++ for the machine, 8 foil colors, 2 full alphanumeric set (one script one normal), maker's mark, constellation and zodiac signs dies. the dies are cnc brass 

f16189cf-5ee9-47f4-837e-5cf21ea17f13.thumb.jpg.26c87b8a7ce1f0686fb471f74dc3731c.jpgdc1c05fa-c69b-4b42-a4b4-0499e988b49a.thumb.jpg.a1ab52ce4a7be425c5ca267f94b68e71.jpg

741c48ec-0d08-44d1-9262-344ec0bd29a3.jpg

4bef0c53-2af2-47b0-af0f-d3337c75f283.jpg

Edited by canonitr

Hello. I'm Sheila from Switzerland. 

For the moment I use a chinese version from Zonesun, I would say is a mid cheap one. SImilar to the one posted by Canonitr. I used it from about 2 years, but not so much. If you are a beginner and your budget is not big, is a good choice to start with. It's a good quality too. I had no problem. But it's always hard to center the logo on mid/big size pieces. The Reason I want to change and to have a more professional one is because is more comfy to use as it said before Canonitr better then a threated bar to connect the logo. 

This is my recent Chinese machine and I love it. It has the bigger platform, it has a dual heating pad, the bottom one has the cutout for the T slot letters and just slides out leaving the top pad for makers stamps etc with the 5mm screw thread. The thing that makes it nice to use more than all that however is the foil system. If you look at the left hand side you can see a small motor. When you pull the handle down that motor advances the foil ready for the next one BUT you can adjust that motor to advance just the right amount according to the width of your stamp so there's no wastage

20240226_094114.jpg

Edited by toxo