Big K

Substitute Veg Tan for Chrome?

Kind of a novice and have never used anything but veg tan for my projects (purses, sheathes, holsters, etc.) and am not familiar with chrome tanned at all. I found a nice pattern for a messenger bag that I want to make and the main body is spec'd as ' 5 oz chrome tanned leather'.  I think I'd rather use veg tanned for the whole thing but, I believe, chrome tan is not as stiff as veg. Could I use thinnner veg tan to get the same effect? The 'wrap-around' sides/body and trim/straps is natural veg colored and the chrome tan body is a darker brown. I'd like to use a thinner veg tan and dye it darker - does that sound reasonable? Hope I asked this so it's understandable.

23 minutes ago, Big K said:

Kind of a novice and have never used anything but veg tan for my projects (purses, sheathes, holsters, etc.) and am not familiar with chrome tanned at all. I found a nice pattern for a messenger bag that I want to make and the main body is spec'd as ' 5 oz chrome tanned leather'.  I think I'd rather use veg tanned for the whole thing but, I believe, chrome tan is not as stiff as veg. Could I use thinnner veg tan to get the same effect? The 'wrap-around' sides/body and trim/straps is natural veg colored and the chrome tan body is a darker brown. I'd like to use a thinner veg tan and dye it darker - does that sound reasonable? Hope I asked this so it's understandable.

i dont see why you cant use veg tan, neats foot oil will soften it and darken it. if you use neats foot apply it a little at a time so you dont use to much. Try it on a piece of scrap to see if it will work for you.

Some chrome-tan is as firm as veg-tan and some is much softer, but I think for a typical, structured messenger bag, the firmness of veg-tan in 5-ounce or slightly lighter would work fine.  The main difference AFAIK is that chrome-tan is typically less affected when it gets wet.

Personally, unless it had to match some other articles, I wouldn't dye it.  An old-fashioned saddle tan from just oil/wax and weathering would look great on a messenger bag.  But that's down to personal taste of course.

Edited by DanDSilva

I would contact Springfield leather and see if they could send you a sample of their milled veg tan. It is flexible and has a soft hand. It might be what you are after. I know they carry 3-4oz. They carry 2 thru 6oz.

This would be the perfect opportunity to start using chrome tan. What's not to like about it? There are some differences in how you work with it, such as it not burnishing well for instance, but so what? If it doesn't burnish you just dye the edges and save on all the elbow grease.

I just read in a LeatherMasterclass blog article that at the same thickness chrome tanned leather is lighter in weight. Which could be important for a rather big bag you want to carry around for some time. 

Whilst veg tan bags look great, they are also very heavy and expensive to make with the price of veg tan.

Chrome is used on millions of bags, cars and upholstery for a good reason, they are lighter, nearly waterproof, available in many sizes and thousands of pre died colours, softer and very cheap

Unfortunately many forums, books promote veg tan 100% rather than both types, so a lot of leather workers never explore chrome leather

Yes chrome leather is crap for holsters and men's belts and some other items, apart from maybe linings, but great for soft wallets and the like