Schick

New guy from Saskatchewan, Canada dropping in

Hi folks. My name is Kevin, and I reside in Saskatchewan, Canada. I have been interested in trying leatherwork for a few years, but finally tried it this last year.

While I am hoping to gain many skills and try different things out, I am really interested in learning how to create leather watch straps. I have made a few horrible creations, and simply write those off as lessons learned. I need a lot of practice. So far, I love leatherwork. I really enjoy stitching, and am getting pretty good at simple stitches. I really need to learn more, and practice a lot more when it comes to skiving. Yikes, what a challenge.

As for me, I am just a regular guy with a wife of many decades, and a fairly typical teenage son. Like me, my wife loves watches. I plan on getting good enough to bombard her with a continued supply of really nice leather straps. Who knows, maybe there is a designer purse in her future. Heck, I might as well dream big.

I look forward to hanging out here and seeing which sub-forums are best for my interests.

Bye for now.

Welcome Schick where ever you are in this fine Province, you're in for a lot of information and friendly folks. Good luck in your watch strap endeavor.  Leo in Regina

15 hours ago, Schick said:

I am really interested in learning how to create leather watch straps.

Do a google search using this string "site:leatherworker.net watch strap" without the quotes.  The "site:" parameter restricts the search to leatherworker.net.

Welcome, and be sure to post a few pic's of your progress.

On 9/7/2021 at 5:19 PM, Schick said:

I am really interested in learning how to create leather watch straps

Here you go: https://am-leathercraft.com/collections/pdf-patterns/products/simple-watch-strap-pattern-video-tutorial-from-18mm-to-25mm

I purchased the PDF version (I wanted the acrylic version but shipping what it is to-day it woulda taken months to get here and I needed the pattern immediately since someone had commissioned one).

The results weren't half bad:

IMG_0688.jpg.9bb3ba33d643c595c43b73de4b10a25c.jpg

WRFM1392.jpg.78e505b623d1337b27748cfb7c1df9bc.jpg

I must note, however, that in order to make good wristwatch bands you must have access to a paring machine or a bell skiver, or have crackshot skiving knife skills. Most of the leather does not come in the weights you require for this particular project and it has to be pared down, sometimes all the way down to 1-1.5 oz.

Edited by Hardrada

Thanks for the pattern lead.