MtlBiker

Cutting Curves?

46 minutes ago, jcuk said:

Have to agree the way they have wrapped that knife up is totally irresponsible and dangerous hope the Postman is ok. Is the blade damaged, looks like it is in the pic as for the clicker knife i have one i have to undo completely to slide the blades in work a treat though.

JCUK

Yes, even with the handle completely undone one half of the jaws are so tight that I can't get the blade in there.  The other half is fine.  I can't try to fix it here at work but will try tonight when I get home.  I think that even prying that part open by banging a screw driver blade in would do the trick.  Shouldn't have to do that though.  Relatively minor, but gee, it was bloody dangerous how they packed the knife.  The mailman will tell me next week when I see him what he ended up doing.  I would expect he needs 3 or 4 stitches at least.

28 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

that's crazy !! what is wrong with people nowadays?

Covid?

I look at that photo I posted of the blade sticking out of the box and I can't stop hearing the theme from Jaws.  :)

No you should not have to that, i once had to return a skirt shave (French edger) which was a easy fix they sent another one had a different fault just fix it myself but again should not have to but could not be bothered to send it back again.  

20 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Yep, the Stohlman round knife is made from very cheap steel and will not hold an edge!

When I purchased a used round knife the seller was smart enough to make a sheathe for it out of cardboard and duct tape. Wow, sorry that happened! :(

Yes, you'd really think a company which specializes in knives and sharp tools would have a better idea of how to package the stuff safely.  It's one thing for the products to arrive damaged, but an entirely different thing when people get hurt.

1 minute ago, MtlBiker said:

Covid?

I look at that photo I posted of the blade sticking out of the box and I can't stop hearing the theme from Jaws.  :)

Lets hope there is not a Jaws 2 and 3

4 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

Covid?

I don't know about Covid I've had it and it didn't make me stupid. I'll bet it surprised the guy like jaws too.

I use a few layers of painters tape over my blades when i send them and that is inside the sheaths. Bubble wrapped tight. Anyway i hope you can fix them up easily that tip will need some work for sure..

It really doesn't say much for their quality control which in turn would also make one wonder about their manufacturing process quality controls. Hope they send a replacement with safer packaging. Hope the deliver person is OK.

kgg

I bought an ULU for my wife as an anniversary gift. Dumb shit on the other end just taped it between two pieces of cardboard, The CARDBOARD arrived just fine, never did see the ULU. 

IMG_20210602_144213 (2).jpg

On 9/8/2021 at 7:07 PM, fredk said:

My 'leather' scissors are not the speciality type sold by leather suppliers but just very tough high quality scissors. They are by Mundial^. They cost me £12 each and I've ended up with 3 (don't ask). These scissors can cut through thin sheet metal as well.

For curves I don't do anything fancy, I just grab a plate, a bowl, a lid, anything that has the right curve to it, or even just fold a bit of card in half and cut a curve by eye, trimming it to tidy it maybe*. Then draw around it. Using a pen to mark the leather gives me a more solid line to follow. Also, as I'm very colour blind I cannot actually see a scratch mark on leather

* if I'm going to make more of the same item I keep that card pattern shape

^ similar

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mundial-2-inch-Red-Dressmaker-Shears/dp/B0009VEM54

I use shears also

Cutco 77JE  $125.00 usd

003.JPG.66ee7a9b3bbc416738019f8cc6c0f11b.JPG

56 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

I bought an ULU for my wife as an anniversary gift. Dumb shit on the other end just taped it between two pieces of cardboard, The CARDBOARD arrived just fine, never did see the ULU. 

Wow. How dumb can you get!  I didn't think I'd have to mention this, but of course, in addition to the cardboard sheath, the guy that shipped mine also wrapped it in bubble wrap, and  put it in a bubble envelope to make sure it was well-padded! :lol:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

F***ing unbelievable. 

However, can't help but wonder about the chain of transport: I'm pretty sure the knife broke its packaging before ending up in the postman's car (and cut who knows how many others). But nobody in a sorting center thought about wrapping some more tape (or cardboard, bubble wrap) around it? In France I've got some damaged packages wit extra tape and a note from the post office that they had to do something...

That said, Covid might not make people stupid (but fear does!), but between it and Brexit Britain may suffer from a shortage of qualified personnel. When the sales admin packs her first shipment without proper instructions, breakage can happen (back in the day I killed a box of hard disk drives...)

Packaging has gone to the dogs.

I recently placed an order with Buckleguy and they just tossed the belt punch in. Of course it was knocked about in the box during transit and the edge was nicked. How these people seem to forget that a razor sharp edge is also very fragile and easily nicked no matter how tough the steel is beyond me. Or maybe it's C. S. Osborne's fault: the punches I've purchased from Goodsjapan.com and even from Tandy have all come with a rubber cap on the tip—obviously none of them have arrived nicked.

:ranting2:

The last time I bought a knife, a 'clicker' knife from Le Prevo, they put some thin foam sheet around the blade, then some cardboard around the whole knife, then some bubble wrap around that and used about a mile of parcel tape around the lot and then it was put into a thick plastic bag. The blade protection extended about 1 inch each side of the blade and about 2 to 3 inches beyond the tape. All this for a £4.50 knife!

On a slightly different subject but similar; I bought some dye on-line. The seller sent the bottle loose in an oversized box. The cap was not 100% tight and there was no seal so a small amount leaked out. From another seller they sent the bottles with, on each, multiple layers of tape wrapped around the cap to bottle join, wrapped in newspaper, and in a self-sealing plastic bag and this all wrapped in bubble wrap and shredded paper in a box just about the right size for the bottle.

Having been a postie a long time ago and received numerous injuries my extended sympathys are with your post-person. A cut from that blade could be very nasty.

I'd be contacting the selling company and making a strong complaint. Looking for recompense, or replacement items.

In the UK it is the seller's responsibility to ensure the goods get to the customer in good shape and fit for purpose. These items look and sound to me to be not fit for purpose.

If you paid by credit card, usually the credit card company can take up the case. In the UK the CC will only look at items costing over £50 (last I knew) but anything over that and their insurance will get involved

I've long used a #11 x-acto to cut leather up to about 9 oz.  I could see where you might not use it for 15 oz skirting, but I don't use 15 oz skirting ... :dunno:

7 hours ago, Klara said:

F***ing unbelievable. 

However, can't help but wonder about the chain of transport: I'm pretty sure the knife broke its packaging before ending up in the postman's car (and cut who knows how many others). But nobody in a sorting center thought about wrapping some more tape (or cardboard, bubble wrap) around it? In France I've got some damaged packages wit extra tape and a note from the post office that they had to do something...

That said, Covid might not make people stupid (but fear does!), but between it and Brexit Britain may suffer from a shortage of qualified personnel. When the sales admin packs her first shipment without proper instructions, breakage can happen (back in the day I killed a box of hard disk drives...)

Thinking more about the packaging, I was concerned, surprised, pissed, that the sharp round knife was only wrapped with a single or double layer of brown kraft paper.  But there's more to it...  Even the way the knife was wrapped, if they'd added some kind of padding around the items, bubble wrap, crumpled kraft paper, etc. that would have probably prevented the contents from moving around inside the box.  But there was nothing.  Just the items thinly wrapped with kraft paper and then tossed into the box loose.  It's because they were able to move around within the box that the sharp point pierced the box.  Hard to imagine that they did this.

I've emailed them but it was already evening in the UK when I did, so I don't expect to get any response until they start back at work on Monday.

7 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Packaging has gone to the dogs.

I recently placed an order with Buckleguy and they just tossed the belt punch in. Of course it was knocked about in the box during transit and the edge was nicked. How these people seem to forget that a razor sharp edge is also very fragile and easily nicked no matter how tough the steel is beyond me. Or maybe it's C. S. Osborne's fault: the punches I've purchased from Goodsjapan.com and even from Tandy have all come with a rubber cap on the tip—obviously none of them have arrived nicked.

:ranting2:

This wasn't C.S. Osborne... It was George Barnsley & Sons.

1 hour ago, fredk said:

Having been a postie a long time ago and received numerous injuries my extended sympathys are with your post-person. A cut from that blade could be very nasty.

I'd be contacting the selling company and making a strong complaint. Looking for recompense, or replacement items.

In the UK it is the seller's responsibility to ensure the goods get to the customer in good shape and fit for purpose. These items look and sound to me to be not fit for purpose.

If you paid by credit card, usually the credit card company can take up the case. In the UK the CC will only look at items costing over £50 (last I knew) but anything over that and their insurance will get involved

I have emailed them, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to fix the clicker knife handle (didn't get a chance to try last night) and using a stone I should be able to fix the damaged corner of the round knife, at least well enough that it could be used.  I shouldn't have to do either of those things, but it would be more trouble to send the stuff back (Canada to the UK), especially since I had to pay some duty on the shipment as well.  It's unlikely that I'll buy from these folks again though.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:32 AM, Northmount said:

My Tandy Round Knife doesn't keep a sharp edge.  Has to be stropped every few inches.

I second this. Totally has me where I did not buy another round knife. I supposed I should try another of better quality. 

2 hours ago, fredk said:

On a slightly different subject but similar; I bought some dye on-line. The seller sent the bottle loose in an oversized box. The cap was not 100% tight and there was no seal so a small amount leaked out. From another seller they sent the bottles with, on each, multiple layers of tape wrapped around the cap to bottle join, wrapped in newspaper, and in a self-sealing plastic bag and this all wrapped in bubble wrap and shredded paper in a box just about the right size for the bottle.

Whenever I buy any sort of dye or liquid from the Barrie Tandy store, IN PERSON, the first thing they do at the sales desk is tighten the cap, then put it in a ziplock bag. Can't believe a seller would be SO DUMB!!   :crazy: 

18 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

. . .   I shouldn't have to do either of those things, but it would be more trouble to send the stuff back (Canada to the UK), especially since I had to pay some duty on the shipment as well.  It's unlikely that I'll buy from these folks again though.

The really big down-side of buying internationally. Do let them know 1. how p***ed off you are with this and 2. that you've been discussing this on an international forum for both experienced and newbie leatherworkers and that their reputation has now dropped to below the Titanic

1 minute ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Can't believe a seller would be SO DUMB!!

Some of us come from a generation where "common" sense was common. Today it seems to be in seriously short supply.

kgg

7 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

This wasn't C.S. Osborne... It was George Barnsley & Sons.

Yup, I know. I was referring to my latest experience with deliveries.

I received a reply from George Barnsley & Sons...  They are at a  loss to explain this.  They claim to always use some padding material around the contents, but at least in this case, they didn't.  They are offering me a 20% discount on a future order, but it's unlikely that I will take advantage of that.  They also said that they did have a manufacturing problem with some small quantity of extension clicker handles where the jaws were too tight to insert a blade, but as I'd already improved the jaws by banging a screwdriver blade into the groove, there's nothing else to be done.

1 hour ago, MtlBiker said:

I received a reply from George Barnsley & Sons...  They are at a  loss to explain this.  They claim to always use some padding material around the contents, but at least in this case, they didn't.  They are offering me a 20% discount on a future order, but it's unlikely that I will take advantage of that. 

They aren't going to send you another knife to replace the damaged one?  That's a crock!