MtlBiker

Cutting Curves?

1 hour ago, PastorBob said:

They aren't going to send you another knife to replace the damaged one?  That's a crock!

Well, I didn't ask them to send me a replacement and they didn't offer.  I did say that I was already attempting to straighten the tip and re-shape the blade.  So unfortunately since I didn't take of photo of that, I really have nothing to show them.  Especially now, since I've bent the point back and tried my best to sharpen it.  But I'm a novice at sharpening (to the extent needed for leather cutting tools).

They suggested that perhaps Customs had opened the package and resealed it, omitting the padding material which they claim they "always" add.  I've asked them if the tape on the package (I sent them a photo of the box with the point sticking out) is the tape they use to seal boxes, and if it is, then I'm convinced it's entirely their fault.  But if the tape is something else, then I'd have to say they're off the hook as somewhere along the line of transport (Customs probably) it was opened.  They haven't answered that question yet.

I guess that if I complain loudly enough they might do something, but it's really unlike me, especially on something so relatively inexpensive.  But I really wanted them to look into their packing policies to make sure it doesn't happen again.  I'd hate to see because I kept my mouth shut and didn't alert them that someone else gets seriously injured.

I just know, for my business, I sent everything insured.  It was my responsibility until the customer received it.  Don't know how much money I lost due to some parcel company losing / damaging one of my items.  When that happened, I apologized to the customer and sent out another one in it's place.  That's how I like to be treated...expect the same.  Sorry for your loss, in both time and money.

Just wanted to report a most satisfactory resolution from George Barnsley & Sons, regarding the damaged knives I received from them.  I had not asked them for replacements, but brought the issue to their attention because I wanted them to be aware and to make sure they package sharp tools properly in the future.

They thanked me and said they had never had a problem before.  No matter.  But they offered me a 20% discount on a future order.  I replied that this purchase from them was totally unsatisfactory and that it was unlikely that I would ever buy from them again.

Then a day later they asked me to send a photo of the damaged corner of the round knife, but by then I'd already tried to straighten the bend and to reshape the blade.  I sent them a photo but it was really hard to photograph in a way that showed the damage.

In any case, this morning I got an email from them with a tracking number... They are sending me replacements for both these damaged knives and the "Global Brand Development Manager" said she had personally packaged it all.

So, a very satisfactory resolution to this.  Kudos to George Barnsley & Sons for the way they handled this.

Wow. Always nice to hear that a company has stepped up to the plate like that! :thumbsup:

Great to hear.  So much is lost as to the importance of GREAT customer service.  

2 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

So, a very satisfactory resolution to this.  Kudos to George Barnsley & Sons for the way they handled this.

Excellent news.

kgg

That good to hear, i suppose it will remain a mystery how the parcel arrived like was it opened or packaged bad in the first place.

And have ask how is the postman.

An update:  I just received the replacement round knife and extension clicker handle from George Barnsley & Sons.  Perfectly (safely) packaged and it couldn't have been better.  And the surprise is that the round kinfe has been sharpened... razor's edge!  It is way way sharper than the first knife and if I can learn how to sharpen this well, I'll be very happy.

Bottom line... Excellent service and product from George Barnsley & Sons.

9 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

An update:  I just received the replacement round knife and extension clicker handle from George Barnsley & Sons.  Perfectly (safely) packaged and it couldn't have been better.  And the surprise is that the round kinfe has been sharpened... razor's edge!  It is way way sharper than the first knife and if I can learn how to sharpen this well, I'll be very happy.

Bottom line... Excellent service and product from George Barnsley & Sons.

YAY!  Love a happy ending!

:clapping:  :thumbsup:

I mentioned that I was super impressed with the replacement knife George Barnsley & Sons sent me, and I asked them about the sharpness of the knife, thinking that they're especially sharpened it for me.  I asked them about it, and this is the reply I got back from their Global Brand Development Manager...

"We have been sending the tools out "ready to use" for the past few months now, we had a Master Leathersmith come to the factory and show the tool team how to sharpen and finish the tools to a higher standard.

Apologies if the first knife was not up to this higher standard, I will feed this back to the tool team.

All knives should be leaving the factory super sharp ready to use, all knives are tested on 5mm leather by the tool team before dispatch. We are not increasing the price of any of the knives as we believe the customer should receive the knives ready to use."

In spite of the frustration with the first knife being damaged, I am most impressed with their attitude and service.  My reaction to the first knife (besides the damage) was sort of ho-hum.  But this replacement knife?  WOW!!

They turned me from a very unhappy customer to someone who would not hesitate to buy from them again or to recommend them.

Great to hear about GB&S service and refocus on quality. An FYI regarding Tandy round knives... A few years ago I purchased a Stohlman branded version round knife when it was on quite a sale for some reason. Its blade was marketed as a Damascus blade. Not many layers and faint coloration. However, it was extremely sharp from the box, and has remained so with routine stropping with rouge. The handle is a bit long, and I can't shorten (without mangling it) due to a metal butt cap. However, I manage that slight inconvenience. Just wanted to get my experience on record; although I haven't alway been impressed with the quality of some Tandy items, I'm very happy with this one. 

On 9/17/2021 at 12:25 PM, MtlBiker said:

One of the points of the round knife had pierced the box and was sticking out a good 1/2". 

I have a nice big gouge in my hardwood floor from when a round knife I purchased completely fell out of the package after slicing the end, and fell straight down business end first and stuck itself in the floor.  Was very grateful it wasn't my toes.  It was simply dropped into a plastic envelope and sent on the way.  When I picked it up, I wasn't expecting it to be the knife, because I couldn't imagine anyone sending something like that in the mail packaged like that.  Can't tell you how many packages I get that have stuff falling out of them, gigantic holes, no tape, poorly packaged, damaged, etc.  I always worry when I have something sharp or heavy on in the post.  Mostly I worry for the delivery guys that are handling it on the way.

YinTx