HondoMan

Something is off with this leather...?

Right then,

ordered some vegtan butt, which arrived this morning.  It appears spot on and I've never had an issue with this tannery before.  I cut off two strips for a belt in the making and dyed both.  I immediately noticed an odd colouring and marbling. I just completed a dark blue belt about two weeks ago without issue using a different leather.  It near on appears purple and this marbling effect...  I did a test piece of the blue and it looks as it should.  I need to contact the tannery, obviously.  

This marbling effect...  is that from the tannage or the bull itself?  The fact that dark blue (Pro Dye) is leaving this a slight purple, it makes me wonder on the tannage.  I am unsure what caused this, hence asking here.

Cheers!

20210909_164651.jpg

20210909_164703.jpg

20210909_164713.jpg

20210909_164741.jpg

Edited by HondoMan

The texture appears to be marbling from the fat in the leather.
As for the purple hue, buff it out, and hit it with some leather balm or resolene on a test piece or the buckle end that will be on the underside of the belt.
I have seen this before with black. Make sure that you have shaken the dye well before applying. I have noticed that the dyestuffs tend to settle out with black more than other colors.

4 minutes ago, TomG said:

I have seen this before with black. Make sure that you have shaken the dye well before applying. I have noticed that the dyestuffs tend to settle out with black more than other colors.

I shake all liquids before use.  That's not the issue.  As one can see, the black did it as well, as you mentioned.  I can't sell the belt this way, unless I can sort out the marbling.  I'll cut another piece off, dye it and see what can be done to even the colour out.  If not, I need to contact the tannery.

The info on the fats in the leather possibly causing the marbling is helpful.

Cheers!

I have this happen when I use imported veg tanned leather (like from Asian countries).  When I use HO, I don't have that issue.

Try the buffing and top coating to see if the purple goes away.
As for the marbling, have you bought this particular cut before?
I have a side of VT that I just bought and it has the same fatty texture near the belly. I can see it before dying. But, my customers seem to like the effect, so it's not an issue on my end.

The issue you are having is not uncommon in the lesser priced pieces of leather.

it is actually the fat showing through a thin layer of coloring.

it might take several applications of color to solve the problem.

try applying a sealer to the leather and then color it.

I hopes this helps.

Hmm, It's usually when I order leather tanned in Mexico (Chahin via Weaver) that I see that.   Is your leather from Mexico/Chahin?  I'd say it's a sign of lower quality tanning. 2 coats of dye might cover it.  sometimes with Feibings Oil dye 2 coats are what you need. (Brown especially).

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

20 hours ago, HondoMan said:

I shake all liquids before use.  That's not the issue.  As one can see, the black did it as well, as you mentioned.  I can't sell the belt this way, unless I can sort out the marbling.  I'll cut another piece off, dye it and see what can be done to even the colour out.  If not, I need to contact the tannery.

The info on the fats in the leather possibly causing the marbling is helpful.

Cheers!

It sucks that that happened.  While the leather might not be suitable for your intended purpose, it is interesting as is, and with the right hardware somebody will love it and buy it!

- Bill

Looks beautiful to me. If you were trying to get it.... you probably wouldn't. Though I mostly do croc skin where people pay a lot more for the multi tone effects. :dunno:

I was away yesterday, so unable to respond.  To be honest, a colleague and good mate in Austria died and I was attending his funeral.  His tooling was fantastic.

Be that as it may, before I left, I dyed the leather one more time and let it sit for 24 hours.  This morning I took a wee peek and it appears better.  That marbling has lessened.  I'll do it one more time and see how it fares.

To answer some of the questions above:  Aye, I have bought butt from this tannery before - many times.  Never an issue in the past.  As I stated, I did a blue belt about a fortnight ago and there was no issue.  I would expect marbling from belly, but I never use belly - haven't since a donkey's age.  This leather comes from Italy.  I buy either from Italy or England.  We do have a tannery here in Germany, but I stopped buying from them about a year or so ago. 

As far as being perhaps a less expensive leather, I pay roughly 200€ for a double butt. I wouldn't call that on the cheap.

I believe the end result will have a very light amount of marbling, but not overly noticeable.  I do appreciate the comments and info you lot have offered.

Enjoy your weekend.

Cheers!

It's not cheap, but could still be lower quality. For I see similar marbling in some cheap natural shoulder I recently bought.

But I think it's a pity that you evened out the dye because I liked the cloudy effect! A lot! As @RockyAussie said, it would be difficult to create the effect on purpose.

After dying it a total of three times, with 24 hours between, that marbling is near on gone.  In the sun one can see it, albeit only a wee bit.  I agree that it is unique to have the marbling and near on impossible to create, it would be too much bother to have it on offer.  Perhaps the next butt doesn't have the effect and a belt or bag was order for such.  Problem solved and learned something. 

6 hours ago, HondoMan said:

After dying it a total of three times, with 24 hours between, that marbling is near on gone.  In the sun one can see it, albeit only a wee bit.  I agree that it is unique to have the marbling and near on impossible to create, it would be too much bother to have it on offer.  Perhaps the next butt doesn't have the effect and a belt or bag was order for such.  Problem solved and learned something. 

You could have sold it as a unique piece, never to be repeated, for double the price ;)

200 Euro for a double butt/bend sounds about average really for that common cut in leather. Chahin tanned in Mexico double Bends Wholesale around $330 US here in the States and I'd call that a mediocre leather at best....And often carries that characteristic you note.

I'd guess leather in Germany is very high compared to the rest of the world?  Is it Sepici/Turk leather or something from Mexico/Argentina?      I guess leather is very high in Germany, as I have many a time seen Weaver Leather Employees packing leather bound for individual customers in Germany.  Surely it must be high over there to warrant freighting from the States?

Europe is such a big place you can use a couple new "German Owned" tanneries.  Located in lets say, Romania or Bulgaria where workers earn 4-600 Euros a month....Tannery Heaven.

Edited by Cumberland Highpower