Mulesaw

Stitching horse from Farm Woodwork book

@Klara Thanks for the nice words, and if you find that you need another piece of furniture in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me :-) 

As far as I can remember from the top of my head, my stitching horse has approximately 20 cm (8") from the tip of the jaws to where the leather strap passes through the clamp,  so technically very large projects can't fit in this one either. But I guess it would work for most projects since it follows those old plans. But I think I'll try to think about how to eventually make a clamp that looks good and will allow use of the full depth. Just to keep my mind occupied.

Brgds
Jonas

Well done, Jonas!

I think that you'll find that you'll use your horse a bunch, now that you have it.

I use mine almost every time I hand stitch - regardless of the size of the work.

My Dad found mine at an antique auction and got it for $40. I had to tighten up everything, but that's to be expected for something well over 100 years old.

Steve

Sewing Horse.JPG

On 9/17/2021 at 2:44 AM, Mulesaw said:

@AzShooter Thanks for the very kind words.  I almost feel guilty from admitting that for the first two days after building it, I couldn't walk past it without trying to sit on it and playing with the lever mechanism  and mounting all sorts of pieces of leather in and out of the clamp :-)

Brgds

Jonas

Ha! I resemble that remark, Jonas! After I finished re-handling my axe head, reshaping the handle to fit my hands, and then made a nice leather blade-guard for it, I just kept picking it up and fiddling with it, happy that it turned out just the way I'd hoped.

At any rate, @Mulesaw what a beautiful creation! Thanks for sharing your pictures, especially all the functional details. I appreciate the link to that book, too.

Very nice.  I made a stitching pony a couple years ago, and use it a lot.  I often thought it would work better mounted to a proper height bench. :thumbsup:  I would make one of those if I had the plans.

4 hours ago, Brokenolmarine said:

Very nice.  I made a stitching pony a couple years ago, and use it a lot.  I often thought it would work better mounted to a proper height bench. :thumbsup:  I would make one of those if I had the plans.

You mean plans like these? --> http://djole.altervista.org/djole/Publications/Leather/S/StitchingHorse.pdf

Thanks, I have saved them.

Great job on that 

Thanks for the kind words all of you :-) 

And sorry for a late reply. We are currently under way from Valparaiso to Tahiti, and due to our Internet provider on board (Telenor Marine) we have been completely without any means of net based communication for 3 weeks :ranting2: Not just for personal use, but also for ships mail such as ordering stuff and reporting this or that. 

@clodhead Thanks, your stitching horse look just like it, and a great find for 40$! 

@KTWolf Hahaha, I know just that feeling :-) I normally stop when I manage to cut myself (which doesn't take long), and thanks  :-)

@Brokenolmarine Thanks, good luck with making one :-) It is a satisfying project that isn't very difficult - I opted to make some fancier joints for the stretchers compared to the plans in the book, but technically that is not necessary at all.

@Samalan Thanks :-)