michaelcbarr

Cowboy CB4500 needle colliding with hook

Apologies for posting a link rather than the full vide clip but I can't compress it enough to meet the forum upload limit!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zgpYAeUaGmWpCrNA8

You can see that the needle very clearly fouls on the hook and causes an audible click as it gets deflected out of position. This seems to have started after I replaced a bobbin and on the first few stitches I managed to birds nest it a bit. The jam was cleared immediately and I didn't force anything - just gently cut away all tangled threads. Might be just coincidence?

I haven't looked at setting the timing yet as I am hoping this is a more simple fix.

While investigating this, I noticed a large amount of play in the bobbin shuttle but I really cannot remember if this was always there and I just never noticed!

Anyone got any good ideas? We have only one dealer in the country and he hasn't replied to my messages yet.

Thanks,

Mb

Perhaps the needle is bent? replace it. Remove the hook race and clean out any left over debris, then oil and replace it, leaving the screws about 1/2 turn loose.

@Wizcrafts thanks for the reply. I should have said that I tried replacing the needle but no luck.

However I do seem to have fixed the problem, yet I don't know exactly what it was.

My local dealer suggested removing the shuttle assembly to send him some photos of the inside . He couldn't spot anything amiss and we had agreed to catch up tomorrow when he would decide whether or not to come out for an onsite visit.

However, when I reassembled everything -  I noticed that the lateral play in the shuttle was almost gone - and sure enough, when I tried a stitch - it all worked perfectly. 

Not sure if this helpful to anyone else but I suspect that either the screws had worked loose over time since installation (this is a new machine) or perhaps dirt had been caught up somewhere. In either case, the process of disassembly and reassembly seems to have fixed it.

Happy to share photos and video of anyone is interested but the problem is solved for me ☺️

Mb

Edited by michaelcbarr
Typos

It's possible you didn't get the outer race that holds the hook on seated all the way into the machine allowing the play.

Yes @CowboyBob that sounds like exactly what happened. It's just weird that I have been using this machine from brand new for about 4 months with no issue - until I changed the Bobbin!

mb