NewToSewing

3/4 or 1 Horse Power Servo Motor?

I was using a 550 brush servo motor on a post bed with a standard speed reducer pulley (cream colored) that is being sold around. At lower speed this motor... well...  So I moved to brushless.  Amazon sells a "genuine" Consew 550 / 3/4 horse power, and then there is another option 750 / 1 hp version. 

Will the extra horse power make any difference, in torque??? - I think with the extra pulley (also motor pulley changed to 45 from 75) more torque is needed?

Also, I already have the Consew brushless on one machine sans speed reducing pulley, it pulls hard (lot of torque as opposed to a brushed). And am also using a 750 / 1 hp on a second machine sans speed reducing pulley that can run super smooth at 200. The build quality of the Consew is better, however. If I don't really need that extra 1/4, I would go with the 3/4 hp.

Edited by NewToSewing

If you're only using it on a post bed (and you have a speed reducer fitted) I can't see where a 750w motor would be any better than a 550w. The deciding factor is the thickness of the material to be sewn and a post bed is not going to handle material thick enough to stop a 550w from driving the needle through it.

19 hours ago, NewToSewing said:

I was using a 550 brush servo motor on a post bed

To get a more helpful answer I think you need to add a some more information.

Who is the manufacturer and model of the post bed machine? Some post beds can handle more material then others, some are have a roller foot while others are compound feed.

What type of material (fabric or leather) are you sewing? Most can only handle light to medium weight materials.

How how thick is the material are you sewing? Some post beds can handle up to 3/8".

What size of needle and thread size? Some can handle up to a #24 needle and V138 thread while others can only handle up to #21 needle and V92 thread.

1 hour ago, dikman said:

If you're only using it on a post bed (and you have a speed reducer fitted) I can't see where a 750w motor would be any better than a 550w.

I agree.

kgg

Some of the 550W come with a 75 mm pulley,there is a 45 mm available that will give you more torque,also if you turn the speed dial down too much it won't have full power.We put the 550w brush style motor w/a reducer on machines that sew over 3/4" of leather & they work great.In the past the brushless type had a higher starting speed & the circuit board would burnout so we gave up on them.They may have been improved by now since I don't see many people having that problem.

I think it's fair to say that in the UK brushless 550 watts are the most popular but the price difference between 550 and 750 watt is now minimal so you might as well buy the more powerful one and get a bit more starting omph

All good observations. The post bed is the rolling foot Consew 228R-11. Medium-light duty. Wizcrafts pointed out on another thread that 69-92 fares best for this type. I did notice turning the speed dial down on a brushed motor diminishes torque, but upping the speed still allows for slow control sewing. So 3/4 vs 1 is probably a tossup.

I read that the 3/4 horse motor is recommended for heavier door materials and double car garages, but that 1/2 horse works for most "regular" size garages. Over all servo motors are great.

Edited by NewToSewing

There's a lot to unpack here.

Firstly, horse power (hP) and Torque are not interchangeable. Horse power is your measurement of speed. A 1hp motor is capable of faster speeds than a 3/4hP motor. I know the listings advertise "1hP" or "3/4hP," but unless you're looking for a faster motor, then I wouldn't concern yourself with it. More importantly they list "550W" or "750W;" let's set our focus there.

Your torque is your rotational force. How much force you require will depend on what you're sewing; not how fast you sew it. A heavier leather will require more force for the needle/machine to overcome than a lighter-weight canvas. With a brushed motor, the slower the machine runs the less torque you have. The slowest speed on a brushed motor is pretty useless. For a brushless motor you have a great amount of Torque on demand from the slowest to the fastest speed. 

Back to the Wattage, which has a direct relation to the Horse Power (hP) and Torque (Nm). Wattage is Power, the more Power then the more hP and/or Nm you have. The pedal that connect to these motors are actuators. They're actuating the amount of current flowing through the motor. The size of the 750W motor is large than that of the 550W motor, so it has greater torque at lower speeds. It can also handle a greater amount of max Power, so it can run faster (ie; 1hP over 3/4hP).

The price difference between the two is minimal. If the extra $20/$30 is too much, then go with the 550W motor. No matter how powerful the motor you use, your machine will be the limiting factor as to what your able to sew. If your motor has enough Torque to overcome half an inch of veg tanned leather, but you're working on a light machine, then you only risk damaging your machine.

20 hours ago, Basel said:

Horse power is your measurement of speed.

Not correct.  550 foot lbs force expended for 1 second is 1 HP.  Equivalent to 747.7 Watts.  Both are terms of power.

You are also mixing imperial/US measurements with metric units.  Usually best to stay with one system, or list both systems to help reduce confusion rather than swapping back and forth.

Most leatherworkers are not concerned with running stitchers at high speeds, rather they are concerned with starting torque at low speeds, and being able to continue the stitch line at low speeds.  Obviously a more powerful motor will be able to provide greater starting torque and that is what is required for stitching thick and/or hard temper leathers.  After several trials, many users will go with both a good servo motor, and a speed reduction pulley set to handle these situations.

I see this is your first post here.  Welcome to the forum.  Lots of information and help is available here, and of course all members new or old contribute to that.

On 3/28/2022 at 5:42 AM, Basel said:

A 1hp motor is capable of faster speeds than a 3/4hP motor.

I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion?:dunno: