Cumberland Highpower

Stitch issue on Peerless 30 stitcher?

I have a peerless 30 "champion" stitcher that I modified for a special sewing application a couple years ago.   Everything has worked well on it as long as I've run lubed nylon thread (277)

When trying the past few days to switch to linen, I've had quite a bit of trouble with the lock.   It either stays a shade loose on the underside, or pulls up nearly to the top with only  a slight adjustment of the tensioners.....I just can't seem to pin it down, anyone with thoughts?

4 cord left twist linen top and bottom.  Do I need right hand twist thread on the bobbin?  I've been using Frankel Stitching Wax.  (I buy allot of Fiebings, so tend to go that route). The wax pot in in on the work side of tensioners, rather than having the pot before the tensioners.....Maybe dry thread through the tensioners is the issue?

Tried a larger awl to no benefit,   Also took the tensioner apart and honed flat (thought maybe some minor grooving was causing issues) and re-polished the tensioning washers and cleaned springs.  Everything looks pretty good...

Sewing 12oz HO bridle. 

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

Do let us know when you figure it out and what the problem turned out to be.