Klara

Keeping natural colour?

Is there any way to have veg tan keep its natural, very light colour without keeping it in the dark? 

There may be Klara . . . but I've never found the perfect way . . . 

The topcoat finish, Resolene, is I believe the only one that has some kind of blocker for the sun's darkening nature.  But with age . . . I believe even it cannot stop the darkening process.

Look at older saddles . . . they'll tell the tale . . . none are very light after a number of years out there in the sunlight.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks, with the recommendation of Resolene I know more than before. I figured that probably there is no way, but was hoping to be wrong... 

I've had moderate success* with a floor 'polish' called Astonish here. In the US it sometimes goes under the name 'Mop & Glo'. It used to be called 'Future', or 'Klear'.  Its not a floor polish but actually a water thin acrylic varnish. I've been using it now for a few years instead of Resolene, both as a general sealer and as a resist.

Results on leathers can vary, on some leathers there has been absolutely no change in colour, on some the leather darkens a bit

*I have no long-time results to see how well it works, except maybe one; I used Astonish on some shield straps to seal the leather, for easier cleaning. The leather did not noticeably darken very much,  just very, very slightly. After about 3 years of use the straps were still bright and light except for the soiling through use

I'll look for it, though I have a feeling that most cleaning products at least look French. I suppose I could always test French wood floor polishes, even if that would mean I'd have to actually clean my floors if they don't work out for leather...

Read the instructions. ~It usually says to put the 'polish' into 5 L of water and apply with a mop. And to remove, use ammonia diluted in water to about 5% and to remove after about 5 coats have been used

BTW this stuff is far cheaper than Resolene. 4 US ounce, about 118ml, of Resolene costs me about £6. I can get the Astonish for about £1 for 750ml. I use it on everything except  floors! ~ as a wood varnish, on deer antler, on my plastic models, to make PVA glue waterproof and quick drying