chrisash

Is there much advantage in fitting the higher feeder and needle plate for binding

Is there much advantage in fitting the higher feeder and needle plate for binding and why is the feeder only half the normal one in length 111g models

4 hours ago, chrisash said:

Is there much advantage in fitting the higher feeder and needle plate for binding and why is the feeder only half the normal one in length 111g models

Are you having problems with the material or binding being fed / sewn properly? I have never needed to change the setup to be able to do binding, even on the cylinder arm machine. Just my experience.

kgg

5 hours ago, chrisash said:

Is there much advantage in fitting the higher feeder and needle plate for binding

It certainly helps to have the clearance "hole" in the raised needle plate.....it allows the outfeed lip of your binder to recess below the bed level of the machine and have the tape flow more smoothly with no vertical step.

------> why is the feeder only half the normal one in length 111g models

It is advantageous to have the lip of the binder mounted as close as possible to the needle...and the shortened feed dog and inner foot allow this clearance when the binder is "buried"  in the raised needle plate.

Binder01.jpg

Binder02.jpg

Binder03.jpg

Many thanks for the clear explanation, it does seem to be seldom mentioned so just had me wondering, slowly building up experience but just one of life's challenges i guess