CopeKid1776

Landis #1 Harness Stitcher

Hello everybody, I have an opportunity to purchase a Landis #1 Stitching Machine that has been completely restored. I mostly do belts, rifle slings, rifle cases and scabbards, and recently some saddle repair. I was just wondering if this would be a viable machine for the job and if anybody had any pros and cons. Thanks much. 

It was good but things got better with Landis #3, #16, and so on . What is your budget? A modern Juki 441 clone would be better, but a #1 sure beat handsewing for lots of things.

5 hours ago, oltoot said:

It was good but things got better with Landis #3, #16, and so on . What is your budget? A modern Juki 441 clone would be better, but a #1 sure beat handsewing for lots of things.

The person selling is asking $1500, I was looking at the BOSS sewing machine prior to this but read mixed reviews. Also helps that the guy is somewhat local. 

On flat work the #1 would do a good job, IF indeed it has been "completely restored".  If it has simply been painted, $1500 could be about $1400 too much for it.  Parts are scarce for those machines, and even though they will still sew when 3/4 of the way worn out, they may not do a very good job.  On case work, you will struggle due to the design of the machine.  A cylinder arm machine where the arm ends in line with the end of the head works a lot better for those types of projects.  Now, I love the Landis #1, and for the first 15 years in business that is all I had.  Nobody believes me when I show them what I sewed on that machine. They CAN do exceptional work if set up correctly and are tight. But improvements have definitely been made through the ages with more modern machines.  You have to remember, the first patents on the #1 were in the late 1880's.  Personally, I've never seen a good job of anything done on a Boss, and I'd steer way clear of those.  If nothing else, you only ever have one hand free to handle your work, and if you want to see rifle scabbards, you'll be wanting to use two hands.  Best of luck to you.

I see it's been 10 days since you posted, but I would not buy a landis 1 unless you just like the look as a collectible. 

They're a threaded needle machine that is somewhat crude and hard to use when trying to make modern goods.  Lots use them still because of low cost (And low Amish buy them for the peddle power advantage)

You can buy many BETTER used machines if you shop around for the same or less.    Randall/Campbells, Landis 3 or 16, etc. Somemes a deep Champion stitcher can be found and I think they're one of the easiest to use.

You can find used machines pretty cheap if you look, I personally have 2  landis 16s that are in working condition that came out of an Amish Shop. (Usable working condition as they are) that I'd sell for $1300 for the pair.   I thought to keep one to give a good going over/full rebuild/repaint  just because I like how it looks, and the other to keep as parts or a spare machine for the first, or to make a sign post out of :)    

A Juki 441 is a good machine and is a jack of all trades machine that can do nylon and leather.  But, they do not stich quite as well as an old hook and awl machine.

Edited by Cumberland Highpower