Rannoch

US supplier reliability

Is it just me, or has the reliability and customer service from a couple of key suppliers dropped off in last six months or so.  Maybe it's a function of Covid.  One supplier in particular not only screwed up my orders, but could never get them straight.  Eventually, I just cancelled my order and asked for a refund.  They never sent a label for me to use to return the items I didn't order, so I dropped the wrong order at one of their retail locations.  I won't order anything on line from this supplier.  When I want something from them I phone the closest retail store and order it that way.  But it's not just them.  There is another supplier that can't seem to ship an order right the first time.  I depend on this supplier and would use a different one if I could.  Thank goodness for one person in their customer service department that always fixes the problem quickly and efficiently. 

Edited by Rannoch
clarity, hopefully

Customer service in general ain't what it used to be.  I sincerely doubt there are systemic issues at either of the suppliers you mention, but really just a reflection of the times.  When I get good customer service, and it is rare, I tend to reach out to the company to compliment them and I mention the individual by name when possible.  

I used to use a signature on my forum messages that says "It is never crowded on the extra mile".  That is still true and sadly, even average or even mediocre service is becoming obsolete.  

I'm in the construction industry and between freight issues and raw material issues it is harder than ever to deliver good customer service.  Not our fault, but we are at the mercy of the market and the conditions which govern it.

And I didn't even mention inflation!  But manufacturers are cagey.  They aren't raising sales prices but they are adding "surcharges".  I don't know who feels better about that, certainly not me!

Anyway, that's my $.02.

just went to a local store Bomgaars to buy some stuff. they overcharged me according to the price on the shelf. The gal there fixed it but we got to talking as it happens on almost everything i buy there now. She said there just aren't enough people applying to work to even unload the truck let alone repricing everything. Almost every place in my town is crying for help for the same reason so that's probably happening most everywhere. Jeez i wonder why no one wants to work when they are getting free money can someone fill me in?

37 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

just went to a local store Bomgaars to buy some stuff. they overcharged me according to the price on the shelf. The gal there fixed it but we got to talking as it happens on almost everything i buy there now. She said there just aren't enough people applying to work to even unload the truck let alone repricing everything. Almost every place in my town is crying for help for the same reason so that's probably happening most everywhere. Jeez i wonder why no one wants to work when they are getting free money can someone fill me in?

Amen.  Same here.  There would be more "help wanted" signs posted, but there aren't enough people to print them.  

I have experienced abnormally long wait times on nearly every order I've placed with wholesale suppliers this year.  Many items are on back order, either due to raw material shortage or labor shortages at the manufacturing level and the supply houses.  I've heard we better get used to it.

I think you were previously spoiled by very customer-friendly service ;) . In France the customer has never been king so that I'm overjoyed whenever I meet somebody halfway competent...

Edited by Klara

When CS at a company I did business with was outsourced to a foreign country I wasted so much time just trying to communicate with people who couldn't speak English well.  Most of the problems were either related to education or flaws in the system.  Even states-side CS people don't know basics, like there is a state called Washington and Alaska is part of the US.  One person thought Oregon was "in California."  I have heard "the system won't let me do that" too many times.  The people who design and manage the systems never have to use them, don't know the businesses where they are being applied, and are poor at CS themselves.  The programs seem to be designed for the accounting department first and foremost.  Also, the first place companies cut is CS and fulfillment.  The last place they cut is executive compensation.  

Yep, that's the way of the world. Which is why I've actually filled in one of the little feedback papers at a Leroy Merlin store once (comparable to Home Depot, I think) complimenting them on the friendliness and competence of their salespeople.

And I'm pleasantly surprised that whereas the CS staff at my telecom provider are sometimes hard to understand (but I'm not a native speaker), they generally manage to get the line working again. As I said, when you are used to awful service, you are happy about any improvement. 

On 9/13/2021 at 12:59 PM, chuck123wapati said:

For the uninformed or ignorant, the "free money" you speak of ran out for everyone on Sept 4th. 

Before you attempt to judge those that have chose not yet to return to work, consider how much Covid-money these businesses received as grants and interest free forgivable "loans". 

13 hours ago, justpaul said:

For the uninformed or ignorant, the "free money" you speak of ran out for everyone on Sept 4th. 

Before you attempt to judge those that have chose not yet to return to work, consider how much Covid-money these businesses received as grants and interest free forgivable "loans". 

Seems your kind of ignorant about running a business, before you judge them or me start a business of your own with employees pay all the social security and insurances, overhead, etc. for them then have the gubmint tell you to shut the doors because  your business isn't essential. you need to remember businesses didn't start this mess the gubmint did and they wouldn't have needed any handouts if left the hell alone either, same as the employees, and also spent the money they got how they needed to  same as the employees. Don't know why you ranted on me friend but crawl back under ok I didn't make your life miserable either. And BTW millions of people still getting free money form this, food stamps for one.

Good luck!

If you're shipping anything by the U.S. postal service, it SUCKS big time! I've shipped a few things via Canada Post in the last year, and they got there very quickly. USPS took close to THREE MONTHS to get two small packages to two people in the eastern U.S! :ranting2:

Ordered a book from  Amazon. It arrived from the States in less than a week, but they used a courier company, not the post.

22 hours ago, justpaul said:

The COST of those "interest free forgivable "loans" was my company had to get ALL  of us OFF of unemployment! I could have been getting $1500 a week, but because the company got that "interest free forgivable "loan", I went to $800. So you don't know what the hell you are talking about!!!

On 9/17/2021 at 11:53 AM, Sheilajeanne said:

If you're shipping anything by the U.S. postal service, it SUCKS big time! I've shipped a few things via Canada Post in the last year, and they got there very quickly. USPS took close to THREE MONTHS to get two small packages to two people in the eastern U.S! :ranting2:

Ordered a book from  Amazon. It arrived from the States in less than a week, but they used a courier company, not the post.

This sounds like a US Customs issue, rather than the USPS.  US Customs is notorious for taking months to process packages and often don’t seem to know the law on natural products like leather.  They have been known to mistake cowhide for sealskin, and can’t tell the difference between elephant, mastodon, walrus ivory and celluloid.  

On 9/14/2021 at 2:15 AM, Klara said:

I think you were previously spoiled by very customer-friendly service ;) . In France the customer has never been king so that I'm overjoyed whenever I meet somebody halfway competent...

Well in France they have a history of killing their kings...

Just saying... maybe it's good that the customers aren't treated like royalty.