Klara

What do I need for tooling this?

My new checkbook cover, the borzoi is simply painted on (with permanent marker). I would like to try tooling hounds - what sort of tools will I need?

Swivel knife, obviously. Beveler probably, but which one? To begin with I'd be happy with a silhouette that stands out from the background,  next step will be details in the borzoi. Maybe something like this https://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/582314802/borzoi-art-svg-printable-painting-png?ga_search_query=Borzoi&ref=shop_items_search_3&pro=1

I've watched videos on tooling, but so far they were about flowers or borders, not what I'm aiming at. To be clear: I'm not looking for instructions on how to do it, just for a list of tools to buy - the shorter, the better.

IMG_20210914_160906.jpg

Barry King makes great bevelers...  You will need multiple width bevelers (essentially wanting a bevel face that is no longer than the line you will be beveling. For instance...the fur high on the back leg of your image, right below the tail would get completely destroyed, or the area around it, if you tried to use a 1/4" beveler for all of the beveling.

http://www.barrykingtools.com/groundersbevelers.htm

Look for "Beveler: Smooth" - it is the 5th row down and all the way on the right side.  Based on your drawing, I would want at least 3 of these, 00, 2, and 4.

You can find an inexpensive swivel knife at Tandy, but found the Barry King one is much smoother to operate.  That is all you would need to achieve what you listed.  The list grows from there, of course.  Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, PastorBob said:

he list grows from there, of course.

Yup, it sure does... :whistle:

No such thing as 'too many tools' in this hobby! 

1 hour ago, PastorBob said:

Barry King makes great bevelers...  You will need multiple width bevelers (essentially wanting a bevel face that is no longer than the line you will be beveling. For instance...the fur high on the back leg of your image, right below the tail would get completely destroyed, or the area around it, if you tried to use a 1/4" beveler for all of the beveling.

http://www.barrykingtools.com/groundersbevelers.htm

Look for "Beveler: Smooth" - it is the 5th row down and all the way on the right side.  Based on your drawing, I would want at least 3 of these, 00, 2, and 4.

You can find an inexpensive swivel knife at Tandy, but found the Barry King one is much smoother to operate.  That is all you would need to achieve what you listed.  The list grows from there, of course.  Hope this helps.

and possibly a modeling tool for the real tight spots.

41 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

and possibly a modeling tool for the real tight spots.

Oh...good catch.  I forget about that handy little tool.

Thanks a lot! I suppose bevelers from Tandy, Ivan or Oka will do the job as well? And I'll need the smallest one I can get, a medium one, and a wide one to make long lines go faster, and everything in smooth (I'm still blown away by the variety on the Barry King Website. But the prices...)

Regarding the modelling tool - do I want a spoon or a ball at the end? Or do I take a look at my crochet hooks... (actually, I will do that anyway!)

Thanks again for your help!

51 minutes ago, Klara said:

Thanks a lot! I suppose bevelers from Tandy, Ivan or Oka will do the job as well? And I'll need the smallest one I can get, a medium one, and a wide one to make long lines go faster, and everything in smooth (I'm still blown away by the variety on the Barry King Website. But the prices...)

Regarding the modelling tool - do I want a spoon or a ball at the end? Or do I take a look at my crochet hooks... (actually, I will do that anyway!)

Yep.  Any beveler will work.  I just went to the BK site as I knew they had pics to easily understand the point of my post.  I started with a tandy standard beveler, then upgraded to the craft pro (or whatever they call their top line tools) with hatch pattern.  I absolutely love it.  I then got some steep ones from BK for those tight areas.  Yes, pricey, but very good quality.

Maybe a hair blade for the swivel knife if you want to add some texture to the fur?

2 hours ago, Klara said:

A spoon type works best for me. in fact you can use it to give your critters some shape too. I made mine out of stainless steel all thread, made some lifters and a regular blunt point for tracing and such also. 

Omg, I don't believe it: Al Stohlman invented (or at least wrote the book about) exactly what I plan to do: Inverted carving/silhouette stamping. 

I'm posthumously in love with the man! (Also, the handsewing and case making books get better every time I look at them...)

18 minutes ago, Klara said:

Omg, I don't believe it: Al Stohlman invented (or at least wrote the book about) exactly what I plan to do: Inverted carving/silhouette stamping. 

I'm posthumously in love with the man! (Also, the handsewing and case making books get better every time I look at them...)

lol There is so much info in his books, i go to them first when looking for answers and usually find them.

Hello Klara,

Only a Swivel, some bevelers and maybe some backgrounders to give contrast around. And to have more precision in spikes a little tool like Craftool A104 slightly refined. If you want, I can carve one to send you to have an example.

Edited by FrenchMich

Thanks for the offer :), but between the info here and Jim Linnel's videos I should get somewhere without example. I'm just waiting for the tools to arrive...