Sign in to follow this  
SherrySandruck

Tanning large animal hides question

What do you recommend doing from once you get it off the animal(larger animals…deers, coyotes etc…for example how do you get the fur off… the process… a friend of mine did a cow, but she said was very heavy to work with….is it similar to smaller animals?

Edited by SherrySandruck

37 minutes ago, SherrySandruck said:

What do you recommend doing from once you get it off the animal(larger animals…deers, coyotes etc…for example how do you get the fur off… the process… a friend of mine did a cow, but she said was very heavy to work with….is it similar to smaller animals?

there is alot of good info on the net.  look up Brain tanning or just hide tanning. Basically you have to flesh/scrape the flesh side of the skin free of all meat and fat . then wash and soak the hide in a water and lye solution to get the hair to slip then you have to wash the hide again to get the lye out and scrape the hair and epidermis off and then apply what ever tanning solution you choose the skin then needs to be worked as it dries to break down the fibers and soften the leather, this last step is for brain tanning i haven't done any other type. there are more than one way to accomplish each of the different steps so a bit of study is needed to pick which you want to do. If you want leather to tool you will have to veg tan it.  Brain tanned hide like Deer is really soft and makes awesome clothing. Its all hard work lol and some times stinky.

Thank you!!!!

1 hour ago, nickbor34 said:

Oh, it's hard to read such comments... I was once a member of the animal rights movement. We tried to fight against cruelty to animals. Recently I also read several posts on the site https://studyhippo.com/essay-examples/cruelty-to-animals/ about this and then I wanted to know more about hunting. My close friend is hunting, and I will also try to get information from him. But, maybe you can tell me more. Does the hunter have some kind of code or rules (statutes) that can be followed so as not to frighten animals and not cause pain?

yes haven't you watched elmer fudd hunting wabbits. you have to be very very quiet. Seriously Your best bet would be to go to a hunters safety class and join it and learn about it from experts. Yes ethical hunters always try to make it fast and painless.