leatherpops

Newbie with Cub problem

Another newbie here. I started leather working after I retired to stay out of bars & off the streets. After buying a Weaver Cub I'm ready to head back to the bars! I make wallets, journals and other personal apparel. I thought purchasing a leather sewing machine would make my life easier. Yeah sure. After a month of working with Weaver the cub it's starting to work pretty good. I've gotten past, mostly,  the bobbin jamming and am trying to figure out the basic operation of the machine.  I want to get a good looking stitch on both sides of the leather. The wallets and purses need require that to sell. So I'm adding a photo of what I'm getting and am asking for help. I think it's obvious which is the backside in the photo. Any suggestions?

Anyway "Hi", didn't want my first post to be a whine or complaint, but....

Richard B

pic of stitches.jpg

Try a bit more top tension, that will pull the knot further up into the leather from the bottom.  Then you can tamp it with a hammer (smooth face) which will even out the dents.  My experience is the bottom isn't very often very nice looking compared to the top, hence why I tend to do a lot of hand stitching.  Then the alcohol goes to disinfecting the puncture wounds and for medicinal purposes to numb the pain.  :cheers:  :head_hurts_kr:

YinTx

Ditto increasing top tension. Everytime I change my machine (cobra class 3 and a pfaff 130) I have to check top tension. I've had my cobra for a year and have just really become comfortable with it. Still working on the 1952 pfaff I recently acquired and unfroze!  I still like my scotch though, just not when I sew.....

Thanks to both of you. I did as you recommended, first stitch broke the take up spring and with a little bending I created a new one out of an old spring. Together I've got a perfect stitch. I'm sure it was the tension adjustment ! I didn't even need the Blue Moon or Chianti.

Edited by leatherpops