Bruce H

New work bench

Wasn't sure where to post this...Looking for advice / opinion...I'm building a new bench...I've got a 9' pc of granite I'm putting on the top.

My question is am I building this bench too tall? Most benches I see in photos are low with office chairs etc. 

Thanks for your input.

Bruce

bench1.jpg

bench2.jpg

Personally I like having a taller bench. I'm able to use a shop/bar stool to sit or work while standing. It all depends on what makes YOU comfortable.

5 minutes ago, SaintJoy18 said:

Personally I like having a taller bench. I'm able to use a shop/bar stool to sit or work while standing. It all depends on what makes YOU comfortable.

Whatever makes sense to your natural posture while working...they now have those hydraulic desktops that rise so folks can stand while working or lowered for desk chair height.  I like to have a tall work bench like @SaintJoy18 mentioned.  I use a shop stool for some items, then stand for others.  When I am working on large pieces of leather, say cutting out pattern pieces, I tend to stand and move side to side in front of the work area.  It sure makes it easier that it is higher rather than desk level.  Good luck with the build!

I also set mine to use a stool or stand. It gives me more options. I think you will be happy with your setup. 

yup taller is better IMO.

"Ditto to what others have been saying, a taller bench is nice in my opinion, especially if you can raise the stool up. I was going to suggest that you put the granite plate above a leg, but then I realized that you wrote a 9' piece !! (I had imagined a 9" piece in my head) That is going to be one "heckuva" tabletop!

Awesome. I'm thinking like all of you...Standing / moving or sitting on a tall adjustable stool will be more comfortable for me.

I've got electrical outlets already wired up / Purchased a Kobalt hydraulic stool...Now to figure out who I can get to help me carry this 9ft pc (Granite was free) down the steps...LOL

I'll have about $150 in stool and lumber...Now I'm on the hunt for a 4ft X 2ft pc of polypropylene for a cutting matt. 

Any work bench ideas are appreciated!

Thanks for all of your input. Bruce

Hi

I've a small kitchen table that I've been working on since the beginning and often wished I could stand over my projects with a tall stool.   Definitely go with the taller version.

As for a cutting mat you will want HPDE https://www.tapplastics.com/custom-cut-to-size-plastic-sheets/hdpe-sheets    

lots of other factories to choose from, too.

2 minutes ago, JayEhl said:

Hi

I've a small kitchen table that I've been working on since the beginning and often wished I could stand over my projects with a tall stool.   Definitely go with the taller version.

As for a cutting mat you will want HPDE https://www.tapplastics.com/custom-cut-to-size-plastic-sheets/hdpe-sheets    

lots of other factories to choose from, too.

Thanks JayEhl for the plastic tip...I knew I didn't want to use Poly...But I couldn't think of the HPDE name

What thickness would one recommend 3/8" or greater? I'm going with a 25" X 48" pc?

Thank you

9 minutes ago, Bruce H said:

What thickness would one recommend 3/8" or greater? I'm going with a 25" X 48" pc?

Kind of depends on what you want to do.   If this is part of a press I would go with something thicker, maybe over an inch or two, but if its just a backing for the chisels than I would think 3/8 would be plenty and I'm sure the 25" is more than enough. My board is scrap from a broken cutting board and is small enough to tuck away in a short shelf.  I'm sure others here will also provide more experiences and insights. 

You might give some thought to putting 3/4" plywood down under the marble. Any blows over an unsupported area may be prone to cracking.

4 hours ago, Bruce H said:

Now I'm on the hunt for a 4ft X 2ft pc of polypropylene for a cutting matt. 

I went with this. Got a 4 x 6 pc and cut in two.  Used one, rolled the other up and kept as a spare.  great mats....http://www.speedpress.com/products/2/1

I got the one without the grid.  

I second the notion of putting a supporting layer for the marble.  Since your top is 24", just rip a 3/4" sheet of plywood in half and use both pieces to back up the marble.  More insurance can be had by using a strip or two of roofing felt under the marble.  We used that on some 'heavy duty' lab tables and it both evened out the support and quieted things down a bit.   I know, that makes a thick top....but I like it.

God bless

5 hours ago, Bruce H said:

My question is am I building this bench too tall? Most benches I see in photos are low with office chairs etc. 

Thanks for your input.

If you have a 30" stool you should have 1 foot from the top of the bar sorry I meant the top of the workbench to the top of the stool head this witch would end up 42" same as your favorite bar 42" then you can make some bottle steps for when friends come over by the way the overhang should be 12" from the front edge of the Chicago Roll to the front of the die forget the roll that could get in the way for leather work .  Actually my bench is 40" it's a great working height I stand while cutting and doing layout work and 40" saves my back any stamping work is done In an 18" office chair and 30" bench height woodcarving is done on the 40" bench also no drinking though but if I did it would be at the 42" bar.

Depending on your height  so the work top would be about half way between your wrist and elbow then it should be right for you. hope that helps

Supporting layers it is...Will definitely go this route...My Bench top is going to be right at 41".

The self healing cutting matt looks like what I'm after...Thanks PastorBob.

Keep your suggestions coming...Love seeing all the input.

Thank you so much

Bruce

15 hours ago, Bruce H said:

The self healing cutting matt looks like what I'm after...Thanks PastorBob.

Glad to be of help.  I have had mine since 2012.  I have flipped it a couple of times, but have made literally thousands of cuts on it and it is still in great shape.

Are you going to use a peg board?  

On 9/16/2021 at 9:39 AM, JayEhl said:

Are you going to use a peg board?  

Are you referring to pegboard for hanging items? 

I think ill use shelves , magnetic strips and cabinets / boxes...I have a tool chest for some storage and the organizer drawers that are in the photo have dividers in some of the drawers.

What ya got in mind I'm all ears.

A peg board is real handy. I have all those other storage thingies too but I have different sized wood pegs on the back-board and its dead handy for putting something up on instead of losing it in the junk, er. . . . on going projects on that bench whilst working on things

I see nothing negative with having a taller work bench, you can just raise your chair. And also at least I tend to stand up sometimes when I do some cuts and such.

For me it did make sense to use the same height as my cabinet from Ikea (So it's 70cm in height) but if I would build a frame I think I would make it a little taller.

IMG_4328.thumb.JPG.2e4ab79b01e989100b146885b77e0af5.JPG

My only consideration would be - can I get my head over the top of the work without getting a bad back? My worktop sits atop  a singer table and luckily works out ok.

As for cracking; If you can work out where you'll do the most bashing, make sure there's a solid leg under it rather than having to move your work to get over an existing leg

The bench is coming along...I have covered the top with 3/4" plywood.

Getting ready to put the granite slab down, I

On 9/15/2021 at 1:47 PM, MikeRock said:

More insurance can be had by using a strip or two of roofing felt under the marble.  We used that on some 'heavy duty' lab tables and it both evened out the support and quieted things down a bit.   I know, that makes a thick top....but I like it.

Thanks for all the ideas...MIkerock I'm taking your idea into consideration. Good idea!

Does anyone have any other ideas for sound dampening? I was thinking maybe the rubber shelf lining material for cabinets?

Thanks everyone!

719279554_newbench.thumb.jpg.d3940a69c725521dc4175ca085ac3ab0.jpg

Here's a progress photo

I still use the foam that came from my original Tandy starter kit!   I also placed some of this tough rubber mat stuff I purchased from Tractor Supply.  It resembles the rubber mat many out door stuff playgrounds have, today.