MtlBiker

Sam Browne type posts?

I saw a YouTube video where they were using Sam Browne (I think that's what they were called) posts... that's just a sort of shaft with round head.  It was being used as a closure mechanism for a thick leather flap.  My searching for such an item turned up some with screw in bases... the one in the video I think was just pressed or pounded in.

Is one more useful than another?  I only need one or two so don't want to place a large order, especially if I have to order from the US (I'm in Canada).  Amazon (Canada) has only the screw in base type.   I'm making a leather sheath for my new round knife and think this kind of closure would be nice.

On the video, he skived the inside area around the punched hole so that the base sat really flat (maybe slightly recessed) against the inside of the leather which would prevent the blade from catching on it when it's being inserted.

Any suggestions?

Sam Browne studs are excellent closure devices and overlooked at times.  The screw-type are the only ones I have any familiarity with.  I've had excellent success in using them.  But, and I think it is important, I always use Thread-Lock to prevent the base from unscrewing during normal use.

I don't have experience with any of the other versions so I cannot comment, but I'm sure others can and will.

But in general, I like them and while they aren't for every situation, they are extremely useful.

If you are in Canada it is probably more cost effective to try and buy locally.  You don't mention where you are, but in the Vancouver area I regularly use Lonsdale Leather or the Tandy in Surrey where the staff are really helpful.

Both do mail order, probably far cheaper than shipping from the US, but if you are elsewhere in Canada it would be a good idea to scout out local shops.

Firstly I prefer to support local with my dollar rather than the likes of Amazon and secondly the staff and even other customers are a fantastic resource. 

Clive

There is one version which is a rivet on. Like a ready rivet base and stem. Then you hammer, lightly, the post and ball of the Sam Brown stud. I had a few of them but I could never get them really tight. 

I think the screw base ones are better. Just cover the base part with a piece of very thin leather to keep it from scratching a knife blade

edit to add; Tandy has the rivet type

https://www.tandyleather.world/products/sam-browne-buttons-washers?_pos=1&_sid=25db6ec99&_ss=r

Edited by fredk