Frodo

Little help here, Please

The manufacture coated over the threads, so the screws do not fit

I need to chase the threads with a tap. [clean the threads]  But have no idea what the thread size is

I have been told a guesstamate of 4 40 size.  

Does anyone know what the thread size is for the screws that hold a belt tip on the belt? 

230296858_screws001.thumb.JPG.e9a39e66832a76e61f969d5489b00b1b.JPG

004.JPG.5fd2d76e35b919e9878273606de6e568.JPG

Hi Frodo

I would guess that it is a size 3 mm (M3)

My guess is purely based on that I not long ago fixed a broken motorcycle side bag which had a similar looking attachment for the buckle, and that was M3. 
If you measure the outside of the small screws, that should give you an idea too. If it is M3, they will measure very close to 3 mm outside, and the distance between each thread is 0.5 mm, so over a length of 4 mm there should be 8 "tops"

Instead of investing in a tap which you might never use again, you could see if you could source a 3 mm steel screw. Then with a triangular needle file, you make a notch so that the screw will resemble a regular cutting tap. you can then use it to clear the threads for coating, but it isn't the best solution.

Hope any of this helped.

Since you have the lock screws, you can measure the dimension, and pick up a cheap thread gauge to measure the pitch (It's also possible to measure the pitch with a caliper)

If it's metric (Patentado = Made in a metric country?) it's probably M3x0.5mm and a tap cost a couple of usd.

Edited by Danne

5 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

Hi Frodo

I would guess that it is a size 3 mm (M3)

My guess is purely based on that I not long ago fixed a broken motorcycle side bag which had a similar looking attachment for the buckle, and that was M3. 
If you measure the outside of the small screws, that should give you an idea too. If it is M3, they will measure very close to 3 mm outside, and the distance between each thread is 0.5 mm, so over a length of 4 mm there should be 8 "tops"

Instead of investing in a tap which you might never use again, you could see if you could source a 3 mm steel screw. Then with a triangular needle file, you make a notch so that the screw will resemble a regular cutting tap. you can then use it to clear the threads for coating, but it isn't the best solution.

Hope any of this helped.

I tried your route yesterday. I went to 7 different locations to find another screw i could use instead of a tap

no one had any screws smaller than a 6 10 

I even visited a couple of gun smiths  thinking the screws on scopes would be close,. NOPE. 

13 hours ago, Frodo said:

Does anyone know what the thread size is for the screws that hold a belt tip on the belt? 

All the makers of these sorts of things seem to have their own non-standard thread

In the past I've re-tapped the thread to match previously bought screws or bolts

12 minutes ago, fredk said:

All the makers of these sorts of things seem to have their own non-standard thread

In the past I've re-tapped the thread to match previously bought screws or bolts

That is what i am attempting to do.  First i need the correct size  to obtain the correct tap

001.JPG.da71fe104402da00f2836d0d4b0368c9.JPG

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

That is what i am attempting to do.  First i need the correct size  to obtain the correct tap

001.JPG.da71fe104402da00f2836d0d4b0368c9.JPG

re drill and tap with something you know. 

probelm solved

contacted springfield, another set is headed my way. 

1 minute ago, chuck123wapati said:

re drill and tap with something you know. 

that was the next option 

When in doubt, 8oz of 2f black powder will fix the problem EVERY time!  :devil: