Klara

What's this knot?

https://www.rayallen.com/knotted-heavy-leather-leash/

I am talking about the knot on the snap hook; I recognise (and have found instructions for) the bleed knot on the handle end. Despite checking all the usual suspects (Google, YouTube, here, Bruce Grant and Ron Edwards) I have no idea what it is called or how it is made (well, I think it starts with a lengthwise slit in the leather close to the end like a bleed knot. But then?)

Also, is such a knot even a good idea? Are bleed knots such a good idea for items that will be strongly pulled on? I've read in advertisement for a bleed knot leash "no stitches to wear out" - but I figure worn-out stitches are replaced easily enough (apart from the fact that I don't think seams on a leash will wear out that easily as there is not a lot of friction).

Not sure about the one by the snap hook. But I use the bleed knot on leashes and inform customers that " In order for the hand loop to give way or tighten on your hand or wrist the integrity of the whole leash has to give out." Meaning that it's stable, strong has less medicinal parts to fail.

You can attach a bleed knot in the hand loop AND the thump snap on the same leash.

...And it looks nice, cheaper (Even by .04 Cents) and faster. And better in IMHO.

The knot on the snap hook looks like what we call in Australia, a Kimberley knot or Gulf knot. It is mainly used to attach reins to a snaffle bit using only a sharp knife only, and no threads or thonging. It was first shown to me by Gippsland horseman Jeff McMahon in the early 1960s.

Its' construction is mentioned in the 1973 edition of "Bushman's Handcrafts" by R M Williams, was also in "Make It With Leather" magazine in 1976, "Bushcrafts 1" by Ron Edwards and in Bruce Grant's Encyclopedia page 46 called 'Twist loop reins'

Depending on the width of the strap, two or more slits may be made when forming this knot.

Trust this is of some help.

It would be at least informative for others of us if we had pictures or drawings of these knots.

I for one am always intrigued by mechanical things of this nature.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks, @jasj! Having the name helps!

@Tugadude You rock! Gulf knot starts at about 4:56 

Another video with better camera placement: 

Edited by Klara
video added

I like it! Took a few tries to figure out the length of the slit (here I have 3 mm leather, 2 cm wide, and the slit is 5 cm from rhe end and 8 cm long). I particularly appreciate the double thickness of leather at the snap hook :)

IMG_20210923_140820.jpg

IMG_20210923_140840.jpg

very cool!!!

That is really sharp.  Never seen that before.  By the time I get around to it (not a Round TUIT, lol), I will not remember where this post is located.