ToddW

question on coasters

Whats good to coat coasters so they don't get watermarks all over them?  Not wanting to discolor them but need something to keep them looking nice..

50 minutes ago, ToddW said:

Whats good to coat coasters so they don't get watermarks all over them?  Not wanting to discolor them but need something to keep them looking nice..

Are they dyed or antiqued?  One could use a waterproofing salve or spray them with Saddle-Lac.

I've used Resolene and Angelus Acrylic finisher.  Prefer the finisher, as it seems more resistant to water, but it does impart a higher gloss.

YinTx

Because I'm a cheap skate . . . I'd make one . . . give it 4 or 5 dip coats in Mop N Glo . . . made 50/50 Mop N Glo and water.

I'm thinking that would settle any problems out . . . other than being a little slippery and slidy 

May God bless,

Dwight

I  second the mop n glo

I'm cheap also

I'll third that

23 hours ago, PastorBob said:

Are they dyed or antiqued?  One could use a waterproofing salve or spray them with Saddle-Lac.

they aren't dyed or antiqued.. 

My personal opinion would be to give them a coat of neatsfoot oil, then let them slowly patina with use.  I have a really nice leather sleeve over my favorite drinking tumbler.  It was done this way and was a light color.  Over the last few years of use, and spilling drinks, down the side, etc. it is a nice rich darker brown.  Kind of reminds me of how my baseball glove patina'd over the years growing up...the inside of it anyways,  The rings will only be noticeable until they dry.  As more happen it will have an even coat of a darker color.  It will look nice.

Mop n Glo did the trick..  Was a bit worried it would change the look of the leather (and finish) but all is good.. I actually had a hard time finding it as the walmarts reported to have it in inventory via the app but did not.  They carried Orange n Glow which I was afraid to use.  Fond the Mop n Glow at Ace Hardware..  Anyway, thanks for the help..

This is the patina I referred to in earlier post.  Glad you found a solution that met your needs.

20210921_151809.jpg

20190217_174233.jpg

20190217_175739.jpg