zuludog

Thinking about dying......

But not just yet!

This Thread has been prompted, sadly, by the deaths in recent months of a few family members and friends; plus there are always news reports of people of about my age dying

I am 71, and though I don't intend popping off any time soon, it is something that must be considered. And there's always the possibility that my hands & sight will start to fail me

I have left my estate, such as it is, to my wife. I remember that when my parents died, sorting their house  & finances was hard work, so I'm trying to make things easier for her & our children by planning ahead

The everyday & domestic items will be straightforward enough to deal with, but what about my leatherworking stuff? - no-one else in the family are interested in leatherwork

We've talked about this, and we're not bothered about money, rather it would be a shame if it was just chucked in a skip (dumpster to you !)

I would like it to go to a military charity or someone who is unemployed if possible, but I don't know how to go about that, or who to contact

So if you have any comments or suggestions I'd be pleased to hear from you, but remember that I am in the UK, so although I would very much appreciate general advice from USA & other places, any charities & suitable organisations should be British 

Edited by zuludog

Both my grandfather and father-in-law spent time in VA rehab centers after WWII. You might check with the British equivalent. Or something like Wounded Warriors.

Scouting is another option.

I believe 'Help for Heroes' charity is still going and although rather smaller than it was a few years ago I think it'll still be carrying on for some time. Its been a while but I/we (my club) gave them a load of plastic modelling things, eg, kits, tools, paints & glues et cetera

HfH uses such hobby things for ex-service personnel to help them get over PTSD

Contact; a, local police, b. Citizens Advice Centre, c local Military barracks - in any order, one of them is bound to know of a HfH unit near you. There are dozens located around the UK

https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

You'll know when I've popped me clogs as my #1 son will be on LW selling my stuff.

Besides leatherwork  my other hobbies include knife making and model making ( the plastic kits) so perhaps I'll just hand things over to Help for Heroes., unless I hear different

Thanks for your replies

Let me rephrase that -- My wife and family can hand things over to HfH when the time comes!

Interesting post.  I like it,  I have an opinion.

Do they have centers for disadvantaged kids in your area?

It would be neat if you would go to the center and just spend a day or 2 just hanging out.

take a piece of leather and a bit of thread and needle with you. see who is interested

Maybe you could change the kids life 

Have you thought about contacting the local British Legion.  

Well, I've been in touch with a couple of military charities and neither of them are interested

Help For Heroes say they no longer take goods, and Forces Support say they only take goods in good condition so they can sell them, they don't do any practical or therapeutic sessions.

And of course mine won't be as they are what I've accumulated and have been using........perhaps I should rephrase that.......it is in good condition, but has obviously been used, and so less easy to sell

I'll see if there is a community craft workshop somewhere; failing that I'm on a UK Facebook page for leatherwork, and it can go on that. There are often beginners asking for tools & advice, so they should appreciate it

1 hour ago, zuludog said:

Well, I've been in touch with a couple of military charities and neither of them are interested

This is pretty frustrating these days, all the organizations  just want cash and they don't seem to actually perform any function.  Not sure why this is.

YinTx

here, USA, in most every town there is a local VFW, veterans of foreign wars. If you have these in the UK go there and talk to real vets ( the boots on the ground) they will know someone I'm sure who would benefit. I will add you are an awesome and wonderful person to care that much about your family as well as those who may get the benefit of your tools.

God bless you friend