Hello all,

I have a customer looking for a holster for a S&W performance center model 629 7.5" barrel.  I have reached out to multiple sources including blueguns, duncans (which apparently got out of the gun mold game), and gun shops to try to locate deactivated firearms to use as a mold.  I also reached out to S&W to see if they had any but they stated that they do not sell to individuals. 

I would like to do this project for the customer but I'm dead in the water if I can't find something to use as a mold.  Any help would be appreciated!

God Bless 

I had the same problem with a blue steel S&W 29 a few years back . . . 6 in bbl.  

I made a model out of pine . . . took me a couple hours . . . 

Revolvers do not usually get as finely molded as do semi auto's . . . 

My customer just smiled like he just won the lottery when I handed him the holster and he slipped his 29 in it.  He was happy as a lark.

They are not that hard to do if you are even half baked handy with woodworking.

I'll get a picture of it later and put it on here for you.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you for the replies.  At the moment I run my business from my home, so getting the customer gun is not an option.  It will be nice to have a shop front someday to do that sort of thing but for now I have nothing to go off of if I don't have the mold for the gun.  Customer mentioned that it has a scope as well, so I need the rail part on the mold also.  If anyone has this mold I would be willing to pay for it.  Seems like a cool project and would hate to have to turn down business.  

Dave

the 629 is an "N" frame   so is this.  give it a looky look

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPSFMT3?tag=dealsguidetod-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Edited by Frodo

6 hours ago, boundlessleatherco said:

Hello all,

I have a customer looking for a holster for a S&W performance center model 629 7.5" barrel.  I have reached out to multiple sources including blueguns, duncans (which apparently got out of the gun mold game), and gun shops to try to locate deactivated firearms to use as a mold.  I also reached out to S&W to see if they had any but they stated that they do not sell to individuals. 

I would like to do this project for the customer but I'm dead in the water if I can't find something to use as a mold.  Any help would be appreciated!

God Bless 

Here is the mold I made for a S&W 29 . . . 

Worked for his project.

May God bless,

Dwight

SnW model 29.jpg

The 3 companies that made 629 molds are all out of the business.  So if you find one you are looking for a used one.  And they are hard to come by.  And no one ever made a 7.5" PC mold

The main difference in the PC is that dang extended cylinder release.  It really becomes a hassle when you have a strap on the holster.  And that scope makes a huge difference.  A scope is not a scope is not a scope.  Unless you have the exact scope with the exact mounts you are just guessing at the spacing.  And that's a bad plan.  

If he is local your only real option is to work out a way to use his gun.  You will either need to figure out what the legalities of that are, or take whatever chance you want to take.  Here in NC I just have them bring the gun to me.  If they don't want to leave it I try to have everything ready to get it molded, dried, and glued.  If they are OK leaving it I've got all the time in the world.  

1 hour ago, chiefjason said:

If he is local your only real option is to work out a way to use his gun.  You will either need to figure out what the legalities of that are, or take whatever chance you want to take.  Here in NC I just have them bring the gun to me.  If they don't want to leave it I try to have everything ready to get it molded, dried, and glued.  If they are OK leaving it I've got all the time in the world.  

Yup. Kinda what I was suggesting above, but I dunno whether the laws in his area allow for that.

Another option is to have the customer come over and be present whist the gun is wrapped in cellophane and molded, then let him take both gun and wet, molding leather with him back home; then, 24-48 hours later retrieve the now-molded leather from the customer, bring back to the shop, and finish the holster.

Edited by Hardrada

Might try these folks.  No affiliation, but have bought a number of products from them.  Great folks to work with. Great customer service.

https://www.shop.bunkhousetools.com/Holster-Molds_c2.htm

8 hours ago, YinTx said:

Isn't that just the grip?  Am I missing something here?

YinTx

The frame is the main part of the gun,  the grip is part of the frame

If you find a replica that is an N frame,  the only difference will be the cylinder size and the barrel configuration 

handgun-revolver-parts.jpg.2c6b6c2c561ff5955bdba50c23867b0e.jpg

51 minutes ago, Frodo said:

The frame is the main part of the gun,  the grip is part of the frame

I mean the link you provided, isn't it just a link for a grip for sale?  I mean, if OP (or I) bought the item in your link, how would it help to make a holster?  seems I'm missing something here...

YinTx

3 hours ago, YinTx said:

I mean the link you provided, isn't it just a link for a grip for sale?  I mean, if OP (or I) bought the item in your link, how would it help to make a holster?  seems I'm missing something here...

YinTx

OUCH....YES you are correct.   I mis read, and thought it was for a replica

try Denix  replicas

I just use the gun, oil it, baggie it, wrap aluminum foil, another baggie, You might want to add padding in certain areas, another couple of baggies. It isn't the exact fit you see on some holsters but pretty good and I've never had a gun rust so far.  If I was making a lot of holsters of the same size- I'd do a model.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys.  The laws in my area require FFL transfer for it to change hands even if temporarily.  Had a customer correct me on that once when I suggested borrowing his firearm for holster making.  Also, I'm not zoned for business where I make my leather goods, so I have to do all my work online and can't legally have customers on site anyway.  Great suggestion on the home made wood mold, but once again I cant even take the gun temporarily for pulling dimensions.  Looks like my hands are tied on this one..  been thinking on moving out of state anyways.  Maybe its time to move to a more leather business friendly state.  (shrug)