swhoelefp69

Cracking / Scratched effect (like a worn couch)

Hi gang!  working on a project, and wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how to easily 'peel off' a thin top layer on the smooth side of veg-tan leather? I've done a small section with an exacto knife, and it took a long time - I have a big surface to do. Thinking some kind of thin file or skiver of some sort?  pics for reference - project will be dyed black like in the pic. Any help is surely appreciated!  

642241508_10325505_856599034369486_7868896776976714142_n-Copy.jpg.c7aafee4acfdbfe01731eb89131c323b.jpg

scratch.thumb.JPG.5ae092f16adf396f6ca534a9d9979724.JPG1781690861_scratch2.JPG.feec94ba7ce55b00868964dc91cd4853.JPG

scratch 3.JPG

Are you trying to make it look worn or are you trying to get the worn parts off?

To me the black stuff looks like plastic-coated split leather (is that the term for the lower layer of a hide that gets a new, thin man-made top layer stuck on after the top grain leather has been split off?) I've bought that stuff by mistake and wouldn't dream of trying to imitate it with some nice top grain veg tan... ;)

2 minutes ago, Klara said:

Are you trying to make it look worn or are you trying to get the worn parts off?

To me the black stuff looks like plastic-coated split leather (is that the term for the lower layer of a hide that gets a new, thin man-made top layer stuck on after the top grain leather has been split off?) I've bought that stuff by mistake and wouldn't dream of trying to imitate it with some nice top grain veg tan... ;)

Thanks Klara - I'm trying to make it look worn. It's a finishing effect I haven't yet mastered. It's all veg tan in the pics - you can see how the peeling starts, but it's really time consuming - just trying to find a better way to peel away the top layer.  Yup! - trying to imitate the fake leather cracking/peeling on nice veg tan!

7 hours ago, swhoelefp69 said:

Yup! - trying to imitate the fake leather cracking/peeling on nice veg tan!

soooooooooooo..... I have this couch I could sell ya.......

YinTx

2 hours ago, YinTx said:

soooooooooooo..... I have this couch I could sell ya.......

YinTx

And I have the matching chair!

That looks super cool. I've no idea on how to make that happen fast though.

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

That looks super cool. I've no idea on how to make that happen fast though.

How about applying paint or acrylic finish to a split, letting it dry, then flexing it a lot?  Or put something that would resist the finish first on the split?

thanks - just took my time...  happy with the result!

243093687_10165576777510057_5690061685052534749_n.jpg

242712742_10165576777370057_5538605181229225753_n.jpg

That looks great!