Stoxrox13

non screw back Sam Brown stud with washer

If they’re like this…7A7AB250-61E4-4978-B5DA-3CDA2341194B.jpeg

I’ve set a few of these, I like them but they are difficult to work with. The post is short, good for maybe 10oz and still leave enough to peen over. The washer is not an interference fit like copper belt burrs, and the post isn’t tapered much anyway. You need to make something to support the head without damage. I’ve never used any of my setting tools on the post, just a ball peen hammer. The trick is solidly supporting the stud without damaging the finish.
I’ve drilled a shallow hole in a copper plate and then beat in a sacrificial stud to clean up the fit, with good results. If I had to do a bunch, I’d buy a ball end mill with a similar radius and mill a hole deep enough to support the whole stud.

You need to hold down the washer as you initially peen the post, and you’re never going to form a pretty, domed head- you just want to expand the post and then work the edges with the ball end of the hammer to round them over.

You can also try substituting copper belt burrs, if you can find a size that will grip the post. I’ve used lots of brass round head rivets from RJ Leahy, using burrs I hand cut with a Whitney punch. In this case, a cheapo Tandy setting tool, placed upside down in a vise, supported the heads well. 

FFFA3836-AD4D-4A75-B612-4FCAE5A2136C.jpeg