Beanz

Leatherwork Schools/Instructors

Hi all! I looked through the other threads and didn't see anything that specifically answered this question. What are the best schools/classes/instructors in this field?

If someone is self-taught and wanted to take their work to the next level by having an actual person teach them, where would the best place be to go?

With the understanding there are various categories such as those who specialize in carving, saddles, holsters, sheaths, bags, etc.

STICK with the self-taught!!!  

Seriously, folks can offer suggestions on various dyes, finishes, leather suppliers, etc... but in the end the ONLY way you will learn it is to DO IT.  

DONT waste your time and money on somebody ELSE'S "instruction" - use it for your OWN supplies / equipment.  There are quite a few willing to "help" you for a fee.  Most of them ... well... lemme just stick with STICK TO SELF-TAUGHT. ;)

Get some leather, and start making what you want to make.

Couldn't agree more with @JLSleather.  There is much to be said from picking up a stamping tool and whacking it multiple times in leather to understand the proper angle, pressure applied, etc.  When I first started hand stitching, I broke needles using pliers to pull them through the holes, my stitch lines were all over the place, and were never aligned front to back.  I was able to pull up a dozens of YouTube videos and watch another artist perform the task FOR FREE (there are so many folks that have the ability to pass on their knowledge with no need to pay for it.) to help me understand how to do it better.  There have been numerous folks who I have learned from who have no idea they taught me something.  My thoughts are (and why I joined this forum) that if I can help someone become better at the craft, for free!  As the Johnny Cash song says, "No Charge".

If you buy a beginner's kit from Tandy, you will be eligible for 8 weeks of in-person instruction. They limit the size of these groups so everyone gets some one-on-one help from the teacher.

That's how I got my start. My teacher was top-notch. He was also the store's go-to person for any difficult questions I had about the craft once the classes were finished.

I was fortunate to live close enough to a store to make this a realistic option.

As for taking skills to the next level, there doesn't seem to be a good option other than online videos. The best ones, like Jim Linnell are pay-per-view, but these are people who are absolutely tops in their field.

5 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Jim Linnell are pay-per-view

Pay once and download to your device.  You can re-watch anytime you please.  If you lose your video file, just download it again with no additional charge.  Jim also has a number of free videos on youtube, facebook, etc.  See my post above for ElkTracks videos.

I suggest you look into Nigel Armitage's Vimeo instruction.

Info can be found here...https://www.armitageleather.com/online-classes

https://www.armitageleather.com/online-classes?wix-vod-video-id=f760310828dd4c74ad9e7b1e16dd120b&wix-vod-comp-id=comp-kt2truy5

He also has a youtube channel where he teaches a lot of basic, fundamental technique including saddle stitching, which is excellent.  He also reviews leatherworking tools.  I have benefitted greatly from his instruction.

Think it depends of what type of work you want to get into and many people learn from different methods some can learn from videos and books but others may need some hands on tuition. The reason i say it depends on what type of work you may want to do because a lot of leather work ie Saddlery which requires a big safety element of other peoples safety and well being, i think hand ons would work best get to know what type of leather and what type of stitch use for certain jobs and when to refuse work when the item of tack is well past a safe repairing state.

Hope this helps

JCUK  

10 hours ago, Beanz said:

With the understanding there are various categories such as those who specialize in carving, saddles, holsters, sheaths, bags, etc.

Several very successful leatherworkers in my area attended the April in Paris leatherworking school in San Francisco that specializes in European style handbags, wallets, etc. typically with a feminine slant. I see that classes are now being offered online. 

https://www.amblardleatheratelier.com/

8 hours ago, Northmount said:

Self taught goes a long ways, aided by videos and reference books or articles. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/ElktracksStudio/videos

Thank you for posting this for Elktracks Studio. They have a number of awesome interviews , with some of the masters of the craft.