Davm

Ruger Wrangler 22 rimfire Holster

I have so far in my leather work only stamped a border on my holsters, etc. Now I am getting into carving leather and I need a floral template for a holster for the above, 5" barrel.  This will be a very simple pouch and a tab that folds in back and sewn- for a belt. Not a skirt as in a standard "Loop" holster.  I want to use lace on the edge.  I could try to work out a pattern but as a beginner a template would make it a lot easier.  All help appreciated.

On lacing, I am using the Tandy Leather Craft book that has single, double and triple.  I thought years ago I saw holsters where the lace covered the entire edge without all the "build up" involved with Tandy's Double and triple stitch- but I may be wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Holsters-Al-Stohlman/dp/1892214989

This book has instructions on thong lacing holsters, as well as a pattern for a Ruger single 6 and others.  Invaluable information included - WELL worth the cost.

Thanks- not to answer my own question but in looking at some holsters with laced edges- I was using a straight tool to punch the slits, I know there are angled slit punches and I didn't realize but I think the angled slits position the lace so it is close together.

There are SO MANY punches out there these days .... and some which claim to be the same size are not the same size.

Best anybody can tell you is you'll need to find the one (or more) that lays out the way you like it. Alternately, you can mark the spacing and 'stab' the holes with an awl.

I'm practicing on scrap leather.  I tried angling the slits at about 45 degrees.  The top of one slit- lines up pretty close to the bottom of the next slit.  There is a parallel space at an angle between the slits and about 1/16th wide.  It SEEMS the leather is strong enough to have the slits that close.  This puts the wraps very close together.  In looking at the old photos of holsters, I think the slits may be a little less wide than the rawhide lace.  If the rawhide is wet, maybe it comforms to the slightly more narrow slit. 

Edited by Davm