kgg

Singer 29k-71 needle conversion question

I just picked up a 1949 vintage Singer 29k - 71 in decent enough working condition complete with original stand and flat bed attachment. I will be starting the process of cleaning / oiling etc. Has anyone converted their Singer 29k -71 to a 135 x 16 needle system from the 29x4? This would make life a little more simple as only having too have one needle system that is interchangeable between my other machines.

kgg

3 hours ago, kgg said:

I just picked up a 1949 vintage Singer 29k - 71 in decent enough working condition complete with original stand and flat bed attachment. I will be starting the process of cleaning / oiling etc. Has anyone converted their Singer 29k -71 to a 135 x 16 needle system from the 29x4? This would make life a little more simple as only having too have one needle system that is interchangeable between my other machines.

kgg

There is no conversion process. Simply use the new System 135x16 or 17 needles. They have the same length to the eye and diameter of the mounting shank. They differ in that they have a cutout scarf over the top of the eye. If they need to be moved closer or farther from the hook, use the lateral adjustment screw over the needle clamping screw.

There are still needles sold as System 29x3 and 29x4. For all intents and purposes, they are rebadged System 135 x 16 and 17 needles. The original System 29 needles had no scarf over the eye. Modern needles have a scarf cut into the body above the eye. If you can find actual 29 needles without a scarf, hang onto them. They would be a little stronger than the new ones with cutout scarfs.

38 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

There is no conversion process. Simply use the new System 135x16 or 17 needles.

Thank you. That makes things a lot easier.

kgg

On 9/23/2021 at 9:49 PM, Wizcrafts said:

Simply use the new System 135x16 or 17 needles.

I changed the original needle with a 135 x 16 #20 with some V138 thread for a test run on my 1949 Singer 29k -71. It work perfectly. Thanks Wiz

kgg