PastorBob

Super Sheen AND Feibing's Pro Dye???

I purchased a quart bottle of Super Sheen (water based) some time back, thinking I would be using mainly eco-flo (water based) dyes.  I have since changed direction and am using primarily Feibing's pro dye.  My question is, will the water based Super Sheen be an acceptable top coat for the alcohol based dye?  Has anyone tried it?  If it's a no-go, I can purchase resolene...just didn't want to have to if not necessary.  Thanks!

Super Sheen was on the market long before the water based dyes came along. I remember using it when I was in Jr. High craft class. It should be just fine.

Should be fine as long as you're not applying it over an oil based dye

2 hours ago, SaintJoy18 said:

Should be fine as long as you're not applying it over an oil based dye

Feibing's Pro does have oil in it.  Thanks @tsunkasapa.  That's what I needed to know.  Just didn't want to ruin my work.  Do you recommend cutting it 50/50 with water? Or just straight 100% Super Sheen?

5 hours ago, PastorBob said:

Feibing's Pro does have oil in it.  Thanks @tsunkasapa.  That's what I needed to know.  Just didn't want to ruin my work.  Do you recommend cutting it 50/50 with water? Or just straight 100% Super Sheen?

I haven't used it, or any OTHER of the plastic "finishes" in decades. I only put NFO on my projects. In my opinion, NOTHING ELSE IS NEEDED!!!!

i, personally, would AVOID it at all cost! Your MMV.

Edited by tsunkasapa

8 hours ago, SaintJoy18 said:

oil based dye

The colourant in the dye is oil based.  The mixture is alcohol based.  Check out Fiebings website.

On 9/24/2021 at 5:28 PM, tsunkasapa said:

I haven't used it, or any OTHER of the plastic "finishes" in decades. I only put NFO on my projects. In my opinion, NOTHING ELSE IS NEEDED!!!!

i, personally, would AVOID it at all cost! Your MMV.

I normally just use NFO, but have a project that is laser etched. When i rub in NFO it has a tendency to smear char.  AND, I have a whole quart of super shene to work through anyways.