Sheilajeanne

Old Singer Domestic - WOW!

I don't know if there's someone out there willing to pay this sort of money, but this is a beautiful machine, and judging by the prices I'm seeing on the local Buy and Sell pages, they are highly collectible!  :o  

I wonder if there are people who still want them because they know how to use a foot treadle, or if it's just the nostalgia factor. I know the one time I tried to use my aunt's treadle machine, I made a TERRIBLE mess!  :helpsmilie:

Anyway, looks like there's enough of a market for these machines that someone who enjoyed restoring them could make themselves a few bucks! According to the poster, their mother purchased this beautifully restored machine for $675 in 2000.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/551624489415948/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks&tracking={"qid"%3A"-7713944053134917084"%2C"mf_story_key"%3A"925710107827506016"%2C"commerce_rank_obj"%3A"{\"target_id\"%3A925710107827506016%2C\"target_type\"%3A6%2C\"primary_position\"%3A0%2C\"ranking_signature\"%3A8443488340489011200%2C\"commerce_channel\"%3A501%2C\"value\"%3A0%2C\"upsell_type\"%3A21%2C\"grouping_info\"%3Anull}"}

May be an image of indoor

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I would guess that it is the nostalgia factor.

I have a treadle powered patcher and an electric powered patcher. For those I actually prefer the treadle powered one. It enables me to sew a bit slower which I find advantageous at times. 
But for a normal fabric type sewing machine I'd go with something electric.

People selling just seem to pick prices out of the sky just hoping a idiot will see there ads

The Singer Featherweight seems to vary from about 150 to thousands, not sure what is so special about them. Ebay in the UK seems to have the majority of industrial machines at silly money with the ads rolling over time after time until so idiot gets hooked, though the under about £400 tend to fly off the shelf, When i had a 29K the base units were offered at £70-400 quite a vary in price without the machine

Old singers are extremely common, and unless they are a very rare model, or in extremely good condition, they don't warrant a very high price. They don't even mention the name, so calling it 'highly collectible' is not something you should do.

Jason Of All Trades recently posted a video about this, also discussing the extremely high (often unwarranted) prices of some 'vintage' machines.

Regardless, for 1234$ you can get an extremely good walking foot industrial machine. Unless you have a huge collection and this is like the last machine you are missing and want it in top nick condition, honestly that's way too high of an asking price. Even 675 is on the way expensive end. Even nick condition singer 201's go for way less than that.

The seller in this case confesses he/she has no idea what it's worth, and just picked that figure at random because it's 1234. But I guess this machine will sell for a pretty decent price because it's been professionally restored, and is really pretty!

I have to confess I'm tempted myself, but I'd have to get the machine for free or next to nothing before I'd bite. And of course, that means it would likely need some work!

4 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

According to the poster, their mother purchased this beautifully restored machine for $675 in 2000.

The last time I owned one of those Singer 127 / 128 models was about 10 years ago I got it for $50 from an estate sale in working condition just required the wood work to be refinished. I think people buy them today mostly for a show piece. What I have seen in the used market over the last couple of years here in Ontario is:

i) The featherweight Singer 221's asking between $300 - $900 with the white ones closer to $1500. The free arm version always seem to sell for $200 - $300 more. I had a Singer 221 for a short time, nasty little machine, they seem to be popular with the quilter groups as they are light to carry (about 11 pounds) from place to place.

ii) I think if someone needs a drop feed domestic the Singer 99K's are pretty bullet proof and can be had for about $200 in excellent condition.

iii) Singer 29k's asking range between $400 to $1000 depending condition and on whether they are complete with the original base, flatbed attachment, manual and threading rod. This is up from a couple of years ago from the $200 to $300 range. Why???? I just pickup a 29k-71 with original base and in decent working condition all it needs so far is a little TLC. If it doesn't do what I am hoping it to do I'll sell it in a couple of months.

iv) Juki 563 asking range between $900 - $1500 up from $500 - $700 a couple years ago.

v) Since Covid 19 the prices have been increasing to point that it is just as well to buy new for what people are asking for used industrial walking foot machines. Just my opinion.

kgg

Edited by kgg
work change

kgg, if you're talking machines that will REALLY sew leather, like patchers, of course, I'd expect to pay a good price for them. But the ones I'm seeing are strictly domestic machines, though some of the more powerful ones would sew lightweight leather or canvas.

Could have had a nice used patcher for $300 earlier this year, but it would have been just too hard to transport it without help. I still haven't gotten around to buying that marvelous gizmo Ferg has for getting the old cast iron machines up and down stairs!

25 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

machines up and down stairs!

Stairs and any sewing machine definitely don't go together. With that said all my machines are on the second floor except for anything dedicated to the basement for a spruced up or on a out the door journey.

kgg

16 hours ago, kgg said:

Stairs and any sewing machine definitely don't go together.

I've got 9 industrials in two former bedrooms upstairs....all but 2 are on the normal sized industrial tables, and those 2 are on custom made tables that are shorter but wider. Lightest is the Singer 20U33, heaviest is the Seiko SK-6. The Juki LG-158-1 on its stock issue Juki table will NOT be making the trip upstairs LOL.

-DC

I do not agree, that this machine or the table is highly collectable. A lot of these machines and tables were produced. In general I have found the price level of vintage domestic sewing machines to be higher in US than in mainland Europe. You may have machines and tables restored to a pristine condition, that may have some fashion value or decoration value. But this can be hard to evaluate by pictures in internet trade. You will find very high and likely unrealistic prices of such machines everywhere. The shipping costs from Europe to US is high, so most likely only the Singer Featherweights may be able to cover shipping costs. In Europe you can find machines like this sold for $50.

In my opinion, the vintage SInger sewing machines got less quality than average sewing machines, but they got a huge advantage of being produced in high numbers. Therefore spare parts are easy and cheap to get and many of these parts are still produced.

I've found that in N.I. things like this go for more money than they are worth as they are bought for 'interior decoration'

Near where I used to live is a business which buys up all sorts of odd things and sells it at huge profits for theme pubs / restaurants or ordinary homes. The outward condition of an item does not often mean a higher price. Sometimes items with 'age & patina' sell for much more

Here sewing machines can be had for free usually except for those few treadle machines that are complete. you can pick up any number of used home machines for nothing. People just don't sew anymore so granny's machine goes to the yard sale then the dumps. I guess some folks collect them so that may push up the cost on some if they are perfect. just in one summer i picked up four older machines for nothing all were in almost unused condition. My favorite is  a 401a  slant needle machine freebie that was in like new condition i love that thing.

Rebuilding and reselling is about the same as bicycles nowadays the younger folks  in the US have been taught to buy only brand new then throw away and buy brand new again, go figure,  so collectors are the only ones that would even look.

Hey Friends,

The one facebook pictures shows the model as a 15NL - A class 15 nostalgia machines (1980s?+). The tells for me are the very good decals and the very new looking treadle cabinet. These machines are still being made but generally not the same build quality as the older "production machines".  The treadle cabinet looks very modern and seems to be missing the flip top to cover the drop head.  I owned one briefly when I was in my acquisition phase .. I had a tough time getting it to sew and was fortunate that the seller took it back.  Perhaps a nice look pretty machine, but I would be surprised if it suited for serious sewing. Happy Days.  lee

Here in the NW. US. , If I type-in 'sewing machine ' in the Portland, local Craigslist sales general search . looked today, It will pop-up 193 sewing machines that are for sale .
Asking prices are all over the place, there is no rhyme or reason for some of the overpriced fantasy land, asking prices for used sew machines . You can find old clean treadle machine flatbeds anywhere from 75-$ to 200-$ .. but then when looking you also see some guy with a delusional asking price of 1100-$ for an old Beatup singer 29-4 . . Then also there is a clean Singer Model  # 29K60 asking 400-$ . . Seen a old singer 48" longarm singer for 1500-$ last week .

11 hours ago, leecopp said:

Hey Friends,

The one facebook pictures shows the model as a 15NL - A class 15 nostalgia machines (1980s?+). The tells for me are the very good decals and the very new looking treadle cabinet. These machines are still being made but generally not the same build quality as the older "production machines".  The treadle cabinet looks very modern and seems to be missing the flip top to cover the drop head.  I owned one briefly when I was in my acquisition phase .. I had a tough time getting it to sew and was fortunate that the seller took it back.  Perhaps a nice look pretty machine, but I would be surprised if it suited for serious sewing. Happy Days.  lee

Yes, I agree - this is most likely one of the cheap Chinese copies. In picture I can see a black plastic knob to lower the feed dogs, and it gives away identity.

On 9/25/2021 at 5:16 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

Could have had a nice used patcher for $300 earlier this year, but it would have been just too hard to transport it without help. I still haven't gotten around to buying that marvelous gizmo Ferg has for getting the old cast iron machines up and down stairs!

That's a good price!They aren't that hard to handle if you take the 4-screws off from under the head & separate the head from the base & carry it in 2-pieces.They should always be transported this way to prevent breakage along with being alot easier to handle.

Edited by CowboyBob

4 hours ago, Gymnast said:

Yes, I agree - this is most likely one of the cheap Chinese copies. In picture I can see a black plastic knob to lower the feed dogs, and it gives away identity.

Thanks to those of you who have identified the machine. I'm not knowledgeable enough to do that without seeing a machine number. BUT what gives it away is the tag in one of the photos, which I hadn't noticed before - looks like the machine came from Taiwan, and the model number is 15NL.

Bob, even separated from the base, those machines weigh about 90 lbs. I'm female, and not young anymore, and my back hurts more every day. Nope, nope, nope! The patcher was about a 3 hour's drive away, and I would have had to take someone with me who could handle that sort of weight, as there was no one on the seller's end who could help. Just wasn't going to happen, I'm afraid, though I did seriously think about it, especially after the seller dropped the price from $500! :(

Edited by Sheilajeanne

NL machines: 

Thanks for getting me to do my homework!  It always pays off!  :yes: 

Modern 'Nostalgia' Model 15’s

From the mid 1970’s what are often referred to as ‘Nostalgia’ model 15’s were made in Taiwan and then later in China. These were made to the same design as earlier machines with the traditional black cast iron bodies and with the RAF or Sphinx decals etc. They were even supplied in the old style bentwood cases or treadle tables.  

The machines built at the Singer factory in Taiwan were identified by the model No. 15NL. The Chinese made 15CH179 is a current model being sold into various African and Asian countries. Although these machine look like the originals, there are subtle differences and they have a poor reputation of being lower quality machines that tend to be very noisy in use.            https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/15

Edited by Sheilajeanne

On 9/25/2021 at 1:57 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

I don't know if there's someone out there willing to pay this sort of money,

This one even shocked me, $2500 for a Singer Featherweight 222.  Kijiji ad in Ontario, Canada ( www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectibles/ottawa/singer-featherweight-222/1588802786 )

kgg

kgg, not going to sell for that price! I've seen the featherweights for sale, in good working condition, for around $100 - 200 Canadian. 

The treadle machines generally go for a lower price, as they are harder for this generation to use. Electric Singers in good working condition generally go for $100 and up, depending on the condition of the cabinet.

Okay, I finally gave in. I am now the proud owner of a Singer 99K. It runs, but not well. Probably just needs cleaning and lubrication. It came with a table, but the table isn't in great shape.  Some of the veneer is peeling or missing, though the legs are solid. The machine is missing the attachments.

Got it for $60. I'd post pictures, but the seller already took the photo down.

Will let you know how things go... ;)

Am I nuts or what... :whistle:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I have a 99K. Its a fine machine.

I need to learn how to use sewing machines. The 99 has been only used once, recently, for putting holes along the edges of a wallet so I could hand sew it with fine thread

My 99 came with electric motor but I converted it to hand-power

Christmas madness in the greater Toronto area is here for sure. The perfect little stocking stuffer, a cute little traditional black Singer Featherweight 222 for sale for a Xmas price of $1950.00.

www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craft/city-of-toronto/singer-featherweight-222-sewing-machine/1597434189

kgg

I must admit that this Kijiji ad is for a well-preserved Singer but one would be crazy to pay that amount of $$$. It does not do much more than a brand-spanking-new $299 plastic Singer from Walmart or a $25 cast-iron Singer from Value Village. Yes, some accessories are included but they are not worth more than $50 on their own.

Yes, prices have been CRAZY lately! I'm sure it's the nostalgia factor, plus, of course, Christmas madness.

Edited by Sheilajeanne