Meandmy1963

Beginner question

So I'm sure this has been covered. I've tried to search for this and have only gotten varying results. So if this has been covered and I missed it, I'm sorry. So I'm new to leather craft and I'm just learning. My question is where should I get leather from? I'm mostly making watch straps and other small items currently. What is a good leather type and weight to use? Should I get cheap leather from Springfield to start out? I see they have $30 or $40 sides. That's pretty cheap and I know the quality will vary greatly. But that's soooo cheap compared to what's out there. Not even 10% of the cost of most good quality leather. But I'd this good for learning? I won't be selling anything off the bat until I get my skills in order. Also for watch straps... I've seen many different results on what weight leather and type ppl use. Veg tan? Oil tan? Someone please point me in the direction of some decent cheap leather to learn on that will be good for making watch straps. Thank you all so much

I have made watch straps from 4oz vegetable tanned leather from Tandy, and 5oz Chromexcel from Buckleguy. Both worked out well. I have no complaints when purchasing from Springfield, but I have not bought a $30 side from them. I believe they will sell some leather by the square foot if you want to start small. 

I would recommend checking out Buckleguy.com as they seem to have the best selection of hardware for watchbands. They also sell small panels of leather. 

The good news is you can probably go for lower grade leather and work around the imperfections (since watchbands are relatively small).

Finally, pick a style you like and start crafting. It won't be perfect, but if you like what you made, you will be motivated to improve it on the next go around.

call Springfield Leather and talk to them.  Great folks. I was just there this past Saturday.  Tell them what you want to do, and they will guide you into purchasing what you need.  If you talk to Skyler, congratulate him on his recent engagement.

Thank you both very much. I ended up ordering some hardware from buckleguy. The prices for their watch hardware are amazing. Then I did call Springfield and they're customer service is incredible. Hard to find customer service like that these days. A young lady (can't remember her name) helped me pick out a couple of their inexpensive sides at a price you can't complain about. They were VERY helpful and I highly recommend doing exactly that if you are in my position. Call them up and they will set you straight. She even hand picked out 2 of the better looking sides in the color and weight that I needed. Highly recommend. Thank you both for your recommendations. Both worked out wonderfully

Glad to hear it.  Make sure to post pics of your work when done.  Excited to see what other crafters are creating!!

I have bought most of my leather from Springfield and I love doing business with them.  They are 3 hours away and in the past, children of mine were at university there so it was easy to pop into their store.  Being able to browse was priceless because they have things that just can't be found on their website.  Also, the discount sides have some incredible value, but again, it was nice to be able to see them in person in order to pick something appropriate for my needs.  

Take advantage of the fact Springfield will sell some leather by the square foot.  That way you can test it out to see if it is going to work for you without having to invest in a larger piece.  They also have bags of remnant leather that might appeal to you.

And I second the suggestion to call them.  Describe to them what you are looking for and I'm sure they will help steer (no pun intended) you to something appropriate.

If you want to go fancy high-end, Rocky Mountain Leather Supply carries a lot of the same leather famous European makers use.  They sell panels by the square foot and will also split leather.  The best watch strap lining is Zermatt from Tannery Haas.  It is what Hermes uses for their strap lining.  It is "mineral tanned" and is supposedly sweat, water and stink proof.  Watch band making is pretty finnicky work.