AndyL1

What to do with scrap?

Hello! I need some help with ideas! I make belts out of 10/12 ounce bridle but when I buy a side I always cut it down to about 55 inches in length. I'm left with a good portion of the hide which I use to make small strap items. My problem is the leftovers are starting to stack up and don't know what to make out of these larger panels. I can only make so many key fobs. In short, what else could I make? I need ideas! Thanks in advance.

You should be able to cut off the shoulder and have enough for the belts.  Then, anything that you can make with shoulders:  note books, note pads, wallets, eyeglasses cases, phone sleeves, valet trays.. list goes on!

YinTx

33 minutes ago, YinTx said:

You should be able to cut off the shoulder and have enough for the belts.  Then, anything that you can make with shoulders:  note books, note pads, wallets, eyeglasses cases, phone sleeves, valet trays.. list goes on!

YinTx

Thank for the reply! What I'm left with is basically the shoulder size panel. It's thick stuff so not suited for what you've listed. I cut a bunch of it for coasters but I have SOOO much it's kind of a burden. lol It's Wicket & Craig bridle leather (good stuff!)

31 minutes ago, AndyL1 said:

Thank for the reply! What I'm left with is basically the shoulder size panel. It's thick stuff so not suited for what you've listed. I cut a bunch of it for coasters but I have SOOO much it's kind of a burden. lol It's Wicket & Craig bridle leather (good stuff!)

If your leather products are priced to include the scraps, you could make dog / cat collars and sell them for cheap, donating the extra cash to an animal shelter.  Charge enough to cover the hardware and a little for your time, plus whatever you want to donate.  You could also make (along the same lines with donations) some of the cancer ribbons...I am thinking ones that are 6-8 inches tall.

sell it on the forum. 

I was going to suggest dog collars as well. The leather might work for valet trays (but I only have 3 mm leather, so I can't be sure) if you cut a grooce where it needs to bend. Also bags, if you have thinner leather for the gusset (see picture).

IMG_20210928_200503.jpg

Dice cups, or desk organizer cups. Boxes of all sorts. Heavy-duty bracelets. Bondage gear.

Edited by Klara

practice with it, use it for mockups or new pattern making 

There be a quadzillion things you can make

Question 1; what size pieces are we talking about?

As well as the good suggestions; you could glue small odd shaped bits on a piece of canvas or heavy cotton and make bags, or glue them on to indoor-flower pots, or glue on to small/medium sized wood boxes

Cut into equal sized rectangles and make dominoes

9 hours ago, AndyL1 said:

Yeah, I missed the 10-12oz detail, that is pretty heavy.  I've been making round knife sheaths from 9 oz, but knife sheaths from 10 oz would work nicely, I think Don Gonzales does his from 10 oz.  A splitter will help you if you want to be making other things out of it.  Alternatively, if they are shoulders, there is a market for them, even I'd buy several!

YinTx

I've given a lot of it away.  A buddies son is getting into knife making so I sent him away with a trunk load of leather to make knife sheaths.  Apparently my scraps are nicer than what he orders online .  Sent about 30 lbs to a boy scout troop along with some tools I've upgraded or bought in lots that I don't need.  

I keep enough around for patterns, roughing out stuff, and welts.  But once it starts pilling up I start looking to give it away.  

If you are looking at making stuff start offering longer belts to use the panels.  Not sure why you would limit your length to 55".  Gotta be some big folks out there looking for belts.  

You could, of course, sell them.  There is a market for shoulders for sure.  But imagine the marketing possibility of selling accessories made from the very same side that your belts are made from.  10-12 is thick, but if you get a skiver you could make wallets, key clips, and/or any of the things mentioned above.  If you don't want to go to the expense of buying a splitter or the time to produce those items, partner up with somebody that can do those things and sell them to your customers on a consignment basis with your partner.  Everybody wins that way!

- Bill

Invest in a splitter and the thickness is no longer a limitation.

What size are the off cuts?

I have made belts with off cuts  of belt leather  , make a billet & buckle end, attach each piece in between  with ' D rings' to make a full length belt , some skiving may be invoked to fold the ends over.   Perhaps decorate with concho's, spots , spikes,  etc ? Ladies sometimes like the thin belts, blokes sometimes like the wider ones. 

Another idea, I have made one piece knife cases with belt off cuts too, with some thin leather on both sides  to make an ' expandable' gusset.  Machine sew or by hand. Sold heaps.  I'll have to take a pic. 

HS