Sheilajeanne

Fiskars Rotary Cutter

I inherited a Fiskars cutter from my mom, and decided to use it to cut some stretchy chrome tanned leather. It needed a new blade, but when I snugged the blade up, I noticed it didn't want to rotate any more.

Do these cutters need to be lubricated, or is there something wrong with it? Or am I supposed to leave the nut a little bit slack?

This is the cutter I have:  https://canada.michaels.com/en/fiskars®-comfort-loop-rotary-cutter/10221519.html?r=g&cm_mmc=PLASearch-_-google-_-MICH_Shopping_CA_N_Craft+%26+Hobbies_N_Smart_BOPIS_N-_-Generic&kpid=go_cmp-12650001316_adg-125437386172_ad-511040951018_pla-981059439317_dev-c_ext-_prd-10221519&gclid=CjwKCAjw-sqKBhBjEiwAVaQ9a3fRLZ_w43W9nnzFkAJ-5YRVvCXN3heA6GR-TesyLY0r2WOfWjGjQhoCIaQQAvD_BwE

I have one which is similar

Tighten up the nut then back it off just a wee tad (a technical measurement) until the blade rotates freely. Not to the point where you can spin the blade, but it should rotate when a very light pressure is applied to it

No need to lube

Added; Yours is the 45mm blade one. yes? I think its a design 'fault' with the 45mm knife as on the 60mm one there is a plastic bit that goes thru the blade and handle. You cannot tighten that one up so much

Yep, 45 mm. One of the videos I watched mentioned there IS oil on the new blades, and it could be this one's been sitting so long that the oil has dried up. I may give it a wee squirt of sewing machine oil, and see if that helps.

Oh, look what I found! You can get a sharpener for the 45 mm blades! :thumbsup:

31 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Yep, 45 mm. One of the videos I watched mentioned there IS oil on the new blades, and it could be this one's been sitting so long that the oil has dried up. I may give it a wee squirt of sewing machine oil, and see if that helps.

When I got new blades they had thin oil on them. I think to prevent rust. But I cleaned it off as I don't want mineral oil anywheres near my leather or cloth

Good find on the sharpener. Now, do they make one for the 28mm and/or 60mm

PS, I gave away my 45mm as I found the 28 and 60 were better

You reminded me that I had to check the sharpness of my current blade. Not very sharp so a new one installed. I must now go buy some new blades as that one was my last spare new

I have spare blades for my 28, so I think I'll be using that one instead. This one still isn't doing a very good job, even with the new blade.

I had a fiscars rotary cutter - I did not like it blade always released / jumped back when I applied pressure even when locked. I´m now using a KAI rotary cutter - works much better

https://www.ebay.de/itm/192411303843

bought mine from CS

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/n5045-45mm-kai-round-knife-wheel-cutter.html

Edited by Constabulary

@Constabulary Can't remember: Have I already told you about https://armastore.eu/ ? I figure they should sell similar things to college-sewing, but are located in Estonia, i. e. EU. I bought some Kai scissors from them a few years ago - good, fast service. Sadly they don't pay me for saying so...

CS does not pay me for mentioning them either - maybe I should ask them :lol:. Before BREXIT CS was my preferred supplier sadly they cannot (???) deliver to the EU atm. But to be honest so far I have all I need and rarely need anything new for my projects.

I know armastore but actually haven´t yet bought from them. Ooouh - seems I have to dive through their 1€ presser foot range - hell thats cheap... tempting...

10 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Oh, look what I found! You can get a sharpener for the 45 mm blades! :thumbsup:

I've got a couple of those sharpeners... 45mm and 60mm.  They actually do work, but it's a bit of a pain.  You first put the blade in one way, sharpen by twisting the small handle and turn at least 20 times.  Then you turn the blade over and do it again.  Then you reverse the blade in the sharpening gizmo (there is a coarser side and a fine side) and do it all again.  Takes awhile to get the blade nice and sharp.  I keep debating with myself whether the cost saving is worth the time/effort to resharpen the blades.

The oil on new blades is to prevent rust.

If you don't know about it, the best place for us Canadians to buy the sharpening thing (and needles, leather tape, zippers, interfacing, etc.) is wawak.ca.  Especially when they have sales.  Shipping is free if your order is $99 (Cdn) or a very reasonable flat rate if less.  And the order arrives here (Montreal in my case) in 3-4 days.  Never been a problem.

Has anyone used the OLFA cutters and if so, what are your thoughts compared to the Fiskars or Kai cutters?  And how much does fabric weight matter for cutting wheel size"

Thanks

Lance

27 minutes ago, LanceR said:

Has anyone used the OLFA cutters and if so, what are your thoughts compared to the Fiskars or Kai cutters?  And how much does fabric weight matter for cutting wheel size"

Thanks

Lance

The cutters I have are all OLFA, and there are many different models, depending on how fancy you want to get and how the tool fits your hand.  But I think the blades are pretty much interchangeable so I would suggest buying the brand and handle type that you like best (and can get at the best price).  And as far as blades go, the name brand blades are all surprisingly expensive, and lately I've even been buying no name brand blades off Amazon.  Much much less expensive and they seem to work just as well.  They may not (not sure) last as long as the name brand ones, but gee, I can get 3 no name blades for every one Olfa blade.  Plus they sharpen just as well.

I have both 60mm and 45mm, but seem to use the 45mm much more.

Thanks.  Anyone else?

I own a Fiskar's rotary cutter and use it regularly.  It helps to prevent any stretching while cutting very thin, flexible leather.  I wouldn't trade it for any other sort of knife.  It just works.  Never had any issues with it at all.   Mine has the retractable covering which renders it safe for storage.

As above. I use my 60mm a lot on thin leather.. My Fiskars 60mm, retracts the blade for storage, my 28mm, rarely used. has the retractable blade cover. I had a 45mm as well but it had a straight grip and I didn't like it so I gave it away. The 60mm has a stirrup grip and the 28mm head swivels so it can be at any angle I prefer

Fabric weight vs blade size - doesn't matter. The 60mm is good for longer straighter or faster cuts, the 28mm better for tighter curves or closer trimming. I've used both on lightweight fabrics and leather up to about 3.2mm (8 oz ?) Its the blade guard which limits the thickness to be cut. On the 28mm the blade is only exposed by about 2.5mm, the 60mm by much more

My last bought blade was a 'named' one, cost about £4 for one. Last night I ordered 10 'no name' blades for £6.23

4 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

I've got a couple of those sharpeners... 45mm and 60mm.  They actually do work, but it's a bit of a pain.  You first put the blade in one way, sharpen by twisting the small handle and turn at least 20 times.  Then you turn the blade over and do it again.  Then you reverse the blade in the sharpening gizmo (there is a coarser side and a fine side) and do it all again.  Takes awhile to get the blade nice and sharp.  I keep debating with myself whether the cost saving is worth the time/effort to resharpen the blades.

The oil on new blades is to prevent rust.

If you don't know about it, the best place for us Canadians to buy the sharpening thing (and needles, leather tape, zippers, interfacing, etc.) is wawak.ca.  Especially when they have sales.  Shipping is free if your order is $99 (Cdn) or a very reasonable flat rate if less.  And the order arrives here (Montreal in my case) in 3-4 days.  Never been a problem.

Thanks for the info, MtlBiker! Good to know! 

A nearby city (Barrie) still has a fabric store where I could buy this stuff in person, but they are getting REALLY hard to find!

As for the Fiskars cutter, I watched a video where they changed the blades on both Olfa and Fiskars 45 mm cutters. The Olfa seems much better designed, and has a washer, which I think keeps the blade turning better than the Fiskars cutter. My two small cutters are both Olfa.

The leather I am working with is REALLY stretchy. I'm trying to cut a strap from it, but found it just bunches up in the cutter. Yes, THAT needs a new blade, too!  :rolleyes2:  Any tips for doing this? I'm making a tool roll and need a strap to tie it up with!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

7 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

A nearby city (Barrie) still has a fabric store where I could buy this stuff in person, but they are getting REALLY hard to find!

As for the Fiskars cutter, I watched a video where they changed the blades on both Olfa and Fiskars 45 mm cutters. The Olfa seems much better designed, and has a washer, which I think keeps the blade turning better than the Fiskars cutter. My two small cutters are both Olfa.

The leather I am working with is REALLY stretchy. I'm trying to cut a strap from it, but found it just bunches up in the cutter. Yes, THAT needs a new blade, too!  :rolleyes2:  Any tips for doing this? I'm making a tool roll and need a strap to tie it up with!

The thin leather bunches up in "that" cutter?  Which cutter (and size) are you using?  The worst thing I've ever had to cut was a very thin and extremely stretchy suede.  The only thing that worked well was a really sharp blade on my rotary cutter with a straight edge to guide the cut.  I had weights on the straight edge.  A really sharp utility knife did NOT work for this because it would pull the fabric, thus stretching it.  The rotary cutter worked perfectly.  IF you used a rotary cutter for that thin leather and that caused the bunching up, I'd strongly suspect you had the blade tightened way too much.  It does take a bit of practice (and restraint) not to tighten the screw too much.  The blade needs to turn really easily, otherwise it will pull the fabric (like the utility knife). 

Sorry, should have clarified I was using a strap cutter not the Fiskar's blade! Since I don't have a replacement for the strap cutter blade, I am planning to use a rotary cutter on it, so thank you for the tips. I already found out the utility knife didn't work. 

3 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Amazon sells razor blades that work great in strap cutter.  Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VQPFK68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks! Will see if I can find these in a store. I had no idea where to buy them other than Tandy's! 

I'm in a bit of a bind at the moment - the only thing I have that's REALLY sharp is my Olfa utility knife! And this stretchy leather is an absolute PITA to cut unless the blade is razor sharp!

Edit: oh good! Home Hardware has the round cutter blades! I thought I might have to go to Michael's to get them!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

An aside; when I had diffs getting small blades for my wood strap cutter I used the blades from cheap plastic pencil sharpeners. At the time I could get the sharpener for about 10p (pence = 1/10 of a £, or about 12c maybe). The blades were just about the right size, just a wee tad (a technical term) thicker than the regular one for the strap cutter

5 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Try backing it with masking tape before you pull it through the cutter. I would recommend the blue or green "painter's" tape.