Sheilajeanne

Fiskars Rotary Cutter

Will try that when I can get a new blade.

I totally lucked out today when I tried to find something sharp enough to cut this stretchy leather. The drugstores don't sell the injectable blades anymore, and Home Hardware doesn't sell the rotary cutter knives or blades, only utility knives. They do have them in their online websites, but there's not enough demand for them to stock them in their stores. Given how long it will take to order them online, it looks like I will be making a trip to Michael's and Tandy's in  Barrie tomorrow. :(

In a pinch: What about scissors?

You've obviously never tried cutting leather like this! Scissors would produce a horrible uneven edge. Honestly, I've never had this much trouble getting a clean edge on a piece of leather before! :rolleyes2:  It's not thin leather, either - just has a soft temper and is really stretchy. It was probably meant to be garment leather.

I thought I had spare blades for the 28 mm cutter. I was wrong. They are utility knife blades. 

Off to Barrie today...

Edited by Sheilajeanne

So, to continue the tale...

No one sells the injectable razor blades that fit the strap cutter anymore. You would have to order them online, and since I also needed the rotary cutter blades, off to Barrie I went.

Tandy (where I was greeted warmly by name!) had a package of 5 strap cutter blades for $3 and change. They also had a 45 mm Olfa blade for $9 and change. I decided that was too much money, and headed off to Michaels (craft store chain).  I don't really need a blade for the 45 mm cutter right now - I must have bought a replacement at Tandy at one time.

They had ONE 45 mm cutter hanging in the paper craft section and NO replacement blades. The employee I talked to said getting supplies in was a real problem since the pandemic hit, and no, she wasn't sure where I might be able to find blades.

So, this morning, I went online, and ordered both 28 and 18 mm blades. It's $13.69 for 5  28 mm blades, (Solumex) and $12.89 for a 6 18 mm. blades (Headley). And I didn't realize until just now that I'd ordered from two different manufacturers!  I thought both were Solumex. Guess I need more coffee! 

Will be interesting to see if there's a difference in how well they work, and how long they last!  

I also could have had a set of 6  45 mm cutter blades for $6.99, but when the prices is that low, I start to get reaaallly suspicious of the quality, especially when no brand name is given!

4 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

I also could have had a set of 6  45 mm cutter blades for $6.99, but when the prices is that low, I start to get reaaallly suspicious of the quality, especially when no brand name is given!

I no longer worry about that. I just buy and see. On items sold here 100% of times the thing is made in some anonymous Chinese factory. The 'named' companies buy them in cheap and have them packaged in their brand packing. The other Chinese sellers buy the over-stock, excess supply, sell locally or globally thru the likes of ebay

This is not based on my opinion but on reports from our trade & consumer watch-dogs, both independent and government bodies.

An example; I used to buy those blades, with two oval holes, for my skivers from Le Prevo. I was told the Tandy ones were superior. I bought some from Tandy. They came in the same package, only a different 'named' insert. Both said 'Made in China'. The next lots I've bought are direct from China they come in the same package as the Tandy one, even to the colour etc of the card insert but that doesn't say 'Tandy'. But buying direct the blades are 1/10 the price of the Tandy or Le Prevo blades. Cheap enough just to change blade frequently

Gotcha, Fred! Will go for the cheap ones next time I need a 45 mm blade!

Sadly, it doesn't always work out like this. The ridiculously cheap safety skiver blades I got directly from China don't cut at all (but then I don't like to use the safety skiver anyway...)

(Btw, why has nobody made a safety skiver one could use with normal razor blades?)

40 minutes ago, Klara said:

(Btw, why has nobody made a safety skiver one could use with normal razor blades?)

Some sellers are promoting a foot corn remover as a skiver. It uses razor blades

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233302066452?hash=item3651e30514:g:kEUAAOSwPkBadBzh

It doesn't work

Klara, I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing with my strap cutter! Why couldn't they modify that one to use the old-fashioned razor blades? They still sell those in pretty much any store that sells the modern razors with the interchangeable heads! And you'd be able to flip the blade around once one side got dull, so it would last twice as long.

I was looking at the slit in my cutter as I changed the blade, and wondering just how I could make the slit longer so that type of blade would fit. But it is such a narrow slit, I'm not sure how to do it.