Just finished my Dojo Duffel Bag, 24" x 12" x 12". The body is 5/6 oz, chrome-tanned, supple, pull-up leather. The flesh side is a gorgeous burnt orange, so no lining. Exterior pockets and emblems on ends are 3/4 oz veg-tan that I tooled, painted, and dyed (Chinese tiger, Japanese dragon, Chikubukai seal, and mitsudome). By the time I make the shoulder strap, I will have assembled about 35 pieces, all saddle-stitched by hand. Antique brass fittings. Holds my gi, weapons, and towel with room to spare. I plan to use this also on the road for week-long trips. I purchased the template from Creative Awl and made changes to suit my vision (3 mm stitches, rather than 5mm; Frontier Leather, rather than Crazy Crow; different end designs; diamond punch, rather than round punch; tooled veg-tan pockets, rather than blank chrome-tan).

This has been my most complicated and long-term project, which taught me a lot about cutting, handling, and sewing chrome-tanned leather. It got rave reviews at the dojo. I'm hoping to make more for a bit of revenue. I did the photography and compositing today and still need to post this on my website, https://www.crozetleatherdesign.com/.

chikubukai copy.jpg

dragon copy.jpg

mitsudome copy.jpg

tiger copy.jpg

top copy.jpg

Great Work! But is there really a market for dojo bags for several hundred dollars? For I'm guessing that's what your time adds up to...

Beautiful photography too, by the way!

Thanks for the compliments. I made the bag for my own use in the dojo and for travel. It was also a great learning experience.

Nicely done , love how you incorporated the tooling. Keep  it up.

Really like the asian inspired tooling on the veg tan pieces very well done. I think the bags would sell and you could use the same duffle pattern and do your tooled pieces all sorts of different ways not just asian designs. Only thing would be your margins since you said it was all hand stitched and all the other extra work you put in. I dont know if you could price high enough to make them profitable. I get the calls all the time wanting prices on stuff and when you tell them price most times they bring up how they seen other "handmade" items on etsy or other online stores for half of what i need to charge to be profitable. Theres a huge difference when you press cut a stack of pieces then run them threw a sewing machine and project is done in one day. Compared to hand cutting every piece hand tooling hand sewing and project takes you double to triple the time. 

10 hours ago, CapnCohen said:

Thanks for the compliments. I made the bag for my own use in the dojo and for travel. It was also a great learning experience.

This bag, yes, I got that. but then you wrote:

On 9/29/2021 at 4:59 AM, CapnCohen said:

I'm hoping to make more for a bit of revenue.

And that's where the doubts creep in... In my experience the absolutely fabulous items may attract customers to the booth, but they never sell :(

Great bag! Love the tiger! Go 竹武合!!!

On 9/29/2021 at 1:28 AM, Klara said:

Great Work! But is there really a market for dojo bags for several hundred dollars? For I'm guessing that's what your time adds up to...

Beautiful photography too, by the way!

They would certainly be a custom, money up front order. But he did a great job and someone will have the money in that hobby. when my kids were enrolled in the arts i used to call it takemoredough instead of taekwondo lol, everything they did cost me. Its an amazing piece of work CapnCohen

Very nice, I love the color and stitching details...nice work!!