I recently received a sales flyer from Weaver with the "New" 969 Pure sewing machine in it....

Overall I am curious if anyone has purchased one and what the thoughts are?   I've never used a 969 in any production capacity, also I have played around on many occasions with an ECO in the showroom over the past few years.    I was always left with some mixed thoughts.    

For the past 16 years I've mostly run hook and awl machines (Campbell/Randalls, Union Locks) and a few 205 variants of Adlers....

I am left wondering if the 969 has any advantage over the 205-370?  It seems to have a little more clearance under the arm, but what else?   I did notice the bobbin was slightly larger, and a little higher lift, but overall I wonder if it was just a way to cheapen up a machine a bit.  Seems like allot of plastic is being used.

Are the feet/plates the same as on the 205?  

I'm contemplating to sell my Union Lockstitch machines and perhaps buy a "new" 969.  Nothing wrong with the UL's they are great machines, only tired of the noise.  Would like a high speed machine that doesn't require ear plugs.

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

The feet and throat plate are not the same.

The main advantage of the 969 may be that you can actually buy a new one today. The 205-370 has been out of production for over a decade. 

I attended a service training class on the 969 at the DA factory in Germany a few years ago. Personally, I’m in awe over the design and engineering that went into the 969. I’m not aware of a current production cylinder arm machine that has more impressive specs.

Thanks for the reply Uwe.  That's a minor bummer the feet and plates arent' the same.  

I did notice the barrel bobbin was a bit larger.  It's a shame we cant get a bobbin about the size of a Union Lock Stitch in a new machine.   Maybe it's a handicap for very high speed operation, I don't know.  I do know I've probably hit some high speeds with a UL though.

Yes too bad the old 205 is out of production....

I was up at Weaver Leather yesterday and happened to step into the machine repair shop and saw about 8 or so in various stages of assembly.  Not that they had failed on the floor, but apparently the Czechs didn't crate them up properly and an entire batch was damaged in shipment.   I guess I had a quick chance to look a bit deeper into the mechanicals.

The most peculiar feature I find is the little finger wheel on the 969 eco.   The fine tune finger wheel just seems to lack the fine control of a larger handwheel.

On 9/30/2021 at 5:39 PM, Uwe said:

The feet and throat plate are not the same.

The main advantage of the 969 may be that you can actually buy a new one today. The 205-370 has been out of production for over a decade. 

I attended a service training class on the 969 at the DA factory in Germany a few years ago. Personally, I’m in awe over the design and engineering that went into the 969. I’m not aware of a current production cylinder arm machine that has more impressive specs.

No  out of production since 2016

The jog dial is a super great feature of the 967, 969.  So good, DA has incorporated into other new models.  You can position the needle where ever you want using just your index finger.

great piece of engineering.  They now have the 969 Pure out which is the stripped down version of the 969 Eco.  No jog dial on that one.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher
grammar

Thanks for the input gents. 

I guess I'm hard to please and/or stuck in a time warp!   I still have a hard time with the 205's of "old" when it comes to the handwheel rotating towards you AND having a reverse...

Just seems "alien" to have a reverse :)

I am warming up to the 969 though.  Perhaps in spite of the little finger wheel I may go for an ECO.   I do like the other functions from what I see.

Does anyone know where the internal motor of the 969 Eco is made? Is it a German/Czech/European built motor or is it Chinese?