Sign in to follow this  

Hey there! My riding instructor wanted me to know if I could safely rotate the D ring to hold a back cinch safely or if she would be better off with a new saddle altogether. Does anyone have any experience with this and would be willing to offer up any advice and guidance? I can get more photos if need be!

Thanks in advance!

1290398114_meghanlopessaddle1.thumb.jpg.d6027a89c490418ce3370537be04f0d5.jpg

That back ring looks like it is for a britchen strap.  It is too far back for a flank cinch dee.  A good location, for a flank cinch billet, would be in-line with your concho at the edge of the cantle.  

The saddle appears to be what is marketed as a so called "training saddle".  A qualified saddle maker or repair person would need to inspect the saddle to determine if what you are asking is advisable.  It may be just as easy and cost effective to add a rear rigging in the traditional manner, rather than rotate the existing dee ring, which would require a horizontal slit to be cut in the skirt, after drilling out the rivets, which would require removal of at least a portion of the sheepskin to access the rivet burrs. I shudder at the thought of it. If you're going to add a rear rigging, do it correctly and retain the value of the saddle by not cobbling it up.

Edited by BigSiouxSaddlery

7 hours ago, BigSiouxSaddlery said:

The saddle appears to be what is marketed as a so called "training saddle".  A qualified saddle maker or repair person would need to inspect the saddle to determine if what you are asking is advisable.  It may be just as easy and cost effective to add a rear rigging in the traditional manner, rather than rotate the existing dee ring, which would require a horizontal slit to be cut in the skirt, after drilling out the rivets, which would require removal of at least a portion of the sheepskin to access the rivet burrs. I shudder at the thought of it. If you're going to add a rear rigging, do it correctly and retain the value of the saddle by not cobbling it up.

I agree with you! I told her from the get go it would be unlikely, but I would ask around. Can I ask what you mean by adding a rear rigging in the traditional manner? Google/youtube searches just come up with how to tack up with Western Gear.

7 hours ago, Goldshot Ron said:

That back ring looks like it is for a britchen strap.  It is too far back for a flank cinch dee.  A good location, for a flank cinch billet, would be in-line with your concho at the edge of the cantle.  

Thank you!

Eventing is my main experience with horses, so I had no clue if that was even the correct placement. 

12 hours ago, seasidesunflower said:

I agree with you! I told her from the get go it would be unlikely, but I would ask around. Can I ask what you mean by adding a rear rigging in the traditional manner? Google/youtube searches just come up with how to tack up with Western Gear

This is generally something that should done by a qualified saddle repair person.  The saddle needs to be partially disassembled, leather pieces cut which will hold the dee rings, which will then be attached to the tree with screws and nails.  If you have no experience with saddle construction or repair, it is typically not a do-it-yourself job.  Inquire in tack and feed stores in your area for someone who can safely and properly do the job.  While the strength of the rear rigging on a pleasure saddle is not quite as paramount to the safety of horse and rider as the front rigging, improper installation can compromise the tree and/or reduce the value of the saddle.

1 hour ago, BigSiouxSaddlery said:

This is generally something that should done by a qualified saddle repair person.  The saddle needs to be partially disassembled, leather pieces cut which will hold the dee rings, which will then be attached to the tree with screws and nails.  If you have no experience with saddle construction or repair, it is typically not a do-it-yourself job.  Inquire in tack and feed stores in your area for someone who can safely and properly do the job.  While the strength of the rear rigging on a pleasure saddle is not quite as paramount to the safety of horse and rider as the front rigging, improper installation can compromise the tree and/or reduce the value of the saddle.

Thank you for your reply - I'll point her in the direction of some saddlers, though if I had to bet, she would sooner just buy a new saddle.