Zonker1972

dye wear on motorcycle seat

hope someone has

an idea why this is happening. The 2nd pic show the seat after stain and covering with leather balm with atom wax while the 1st pic shows that the green Fiebing's pro dye is wearing off the seat. i had some luggage strapped to the seat for my trip to and from Sturgis this year. but this seat has only been used for this season. i would like to know if anyone has an idea as to why it looks like the green dye is all rubbing off. any help is greatly appreciated.

after-crop.jpg

b4-crop.jpg

Edited by Zonker1972

Most hand applied leather dyes only penetrate a small distance into the leather and so they wear off or get sun bleached.  My experience with motorcycle seats is that it is a combination of both.  My last seat wore down to the point the stitches began to come apart so it was no surprise the dye was worn too.  For multiple colors there isn't really much alternative but for a solid colored seat you could use leather that is fully penetrated with dye in the tanning process.

sbrownn thanks for the input. it's a real shame. this took me quite a bit of time. i would hate to think that i'd have to re-dye the seat every year to keep the green sections.

I know there are a lot of custom stamped / carved motorcycle seats out there.  You might try contacting one and asking them how they keep theirs looking so nice for so long.  They may divulge their method.  I would make the call as a potential customer and ask how they guarantee it won't fade, etc.

pasterbob that's a good idea. i went to my local tandy and asked about this issue. the salesman said that the outcome was due to using leather balm with atom wax. i'm not rally sure how this could be but perhaps if i re-dye the green section and then seal with some tan kote it may fix the problem.

14 minutes ago, Zonker1972 said:

pasterbob that's a good idea. i went to my local tandy and asked about this issue. the salesman said that the outcome was due to using leather balm with atom wax. i'm not rally sure how this could be but perhaps if i re-dye the green section and then seal with some tan kote it may fix the problem.

I have never used atom wax.  Is it more like a conditioner / protectant (like sno seal or mink oil)?  If so, that would make sense.  If you don't have some type of top seal on it, it will definitely rub off over time.  Keep us posted on progress.  You could even use Super Shene or Satin Shene, depending on the look you desire.

or for that matter, saddle lac

On 9/30/2021 at 4:28 AM, PastorBob said:

I know there are a lot of custom stamped / carved motorcycle seats out there.  You might try contacting one and asking them how they keep theirs looking so nice for so long.  They may divulge their method.  I would make the call as a potential customer and ask how they guarantee it won't fade, etc.

They don't keep theirs looking nice for so long unless they are hardly ever ridden, which is probably mostly the case.  If you ride on the same seat for 50K miles I can almost guarantee you will wear it down.

Go over the seat with a few paper towels that have denatured alcohol on them, it will look like it's bleeding green and black don't freak out KEEP THE BLACK OFF THE GREEN.  Re dye the green and black two or three coats. Apply a light coat of neatsfoot oil (real 100% neatsfoot no silicone) on it the green and black will get real dark don't freak out. Let it sit over night the leather will soak up the oil.  Buff the seat with some fresh paper towels.  Get some MOP & GLO cut it 60/40 with distilled water and airbrush it on the seat. If you don't have an air brush use a hairy stick. After all this put your leather balm with atom wax in the cabinet and save that sh.... tuff for wallets and watch bands. Get some Montana pitch blend that's all... Put it on like like shoe polish, let it sit.. Warm it with yet ol ladies hair dryer but the whole seat again, done..