Gulrok

In search of a veg tan with finished back.

Hey guys.

I'm currently using W&C English bridle & Chahin English Bridle for some strap work, but I'm looking to move to a leather that is a bit drier. 

The only thing is that I'm looking for leather with a pasted back and that is relatively clean. Any good sources? 

I know I can custom order a skirting leather from W&C and ask for a pasted back but I'm trying to avoid spending as much on it. 

8 hours ago, Gulrok said:

Hey guys.

I'm currently using W&C English bridle & Chahin English Bridle for some strap work, but I'm looking to move to a leather that is a bit drier. 

The only thing is that I'm looking for leather with a pasted back and that is relatively clean. Any good sources? 

I know I can custom order a skirting leather from W&C and ask for a pasted back but I'm trying to avoid spending as much on it. 

I use Tokonole by spreading it on the back and rubbing it in really well.  There is a glass slicker out there that is super nice, but super pricey.  I don't have one of them. I just smear on the tokonole and rub it in really good with by bone creaser.  It essentially slicks the back of the leather to super smooth.

Check out this video by Fischer...

Like the Preacher-man said, Tokonole.  

Buckleguy.com sells Wickett & Craig bridle leather panels and shoulders with a pasted back in different weights.  Zach White sells undyed veg-tan shoulders with a pasted back, too.  I've been happy with the ones from Zack.  Buckleguy is sometimes hit and miss, depending on what part of the hide they're cutting the panel from.

Edited by mike02130
punctuation

2 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Nice find.  Thanks for sharing.  Do you have one?  I thought the ones I've seen were 1/2"  thick.  This looks to be less than 3/8" in thickness.  Should still work okay though, right?  If that's the case, I may go by my local glass shop and see if I can get a scrap piece smoothed down from their discard pile.

43 minutes ago, PastorBob said:

Nice find.  Thanks for sharing.  Do you have one?  I thought the ones I've seen were 1/2"  thick.  This looks to be less than 3/8" in thickness.  Should still work okay though, right?  If that's the case, I may go by my local glass shop and see if I can get a scrap piece smoothed down from their discard pile.

No, I don't own one.  Just posted that to help others.  The projects I've smoothed on the back were small enough that I just used my bone folder.  But I can see how efficient the glass would be on larger pieces of leather.  Better control and consistency too.

I have one of those glass slickers but find it very limiting. Only an edge corner can be used. Mine cracked and chipped on one edge, a glass fault line. I smoothed that and when I went to buy a new one for a spare and saw the prices I went looking for glass paper weights.

I now use a couple of glass paper weights which I got for about £1 each. One is a flat block about 2cm thick by 107 mm by 65 mm. Top side has rounded corners. The other weight is a flat disc about 70 mm diameter by 2 cm thick, top is flat but the edge is rounded.  Both are easy to hold. With these the whole top can be used, covering a greater area

You can often find glass paper weights at charity / thrift shops for only £1 or a $1. 

I've ended up with a selection of them, not all for leather work tho

edited to add; for smoothing the back of leather I apply beeswax, rub it well in with a cloth then burnish it smoother with one of my glass paper weights

and some of my glass paper weights

Glass burnishers, 01LWs.jpg

I got these three for under £5, of these I use the block at front and the round one top right

Glass burnishers, 02LWs.jpg

A flat topped disc shaped one. Fits the hand nicely and does a fine job of burnishing, Cost me £1 + some postage

Edited by fredk

It looks like Zach White & RJF leather also has some English bridle.. I think I need to assess it. It appears to have a pasted/finished back. 

On 9/30/2021 at 9:56 AM, PastorBob said:

I have one of these, been using it for years with no issues.  it seems ymmv tho.

YinTx