YinTx

Finally replaced the seat at my tooling bench...

after untold $$ spent on tools to cut wood, sand wood, router wood, drill wood, staple leather to wood, and materials like high quality foam and Dacron, I have a new seat.  Actually two, but here is one.  Before and after....

YinTx

SeatBeforeLoRes.thumb.jpg.a5bd15d7102b64928824890a659a1793.jpg

SeatAfterLoRes.thumb.jpg.48e717613c2f6e915b8c1559cd02d7d8.jpg

It probably wasn't necessary to use adhesive, but it did make life a little easier so the foam didn't shift on the wood base.  I used Camie 373, intended for foam, cloth.

https://camie.com/high-performance-adhesive

The outer layer is wrapped in Dacron, so no adhesive there.  The second stool I just finished I used a second thinner softer foam on top, and a wrap of foam around the edge for a more cushioned look and feel.  Those layers for sure benefited from the adhesive!  Would have been a real challenge to assemble without it.

YinTx

Thats quite a good looking job, nice grain too . It must be heaps more comfy, surely?  :) 

I keep wanting to ' upgrade' the appearance of my boring ol' 70's - 80's office chair. Its got daggy  worn out looking fabric atm , after seeing that, might have a crack at my ol' seat. 

HS

12 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Thats quite a good looking job, nice grain too . It must be heaps more comfy, surely?  :) 

I keep wanting to ' upgrade' the appearance of my boring ol' 70's - 80's office chair. Its got daggy  worn out looking fabric atm , after seeing that, might have a crack at my ol' seat. 

HS

I did like the grain myself, which is why I chose it despite my misgivings over the firm hand and the result that would have on the finished piece.  It was in a lot of leather I bought from a fellow LW here, so I have no idea where it came from or what it is.

The original seat had what looked like a hard foam polystyrene block with a 1/2" soft foam topper covered in plastic.  It was miserable to sit on, and cut the circulation off of your legs in no time flat.  The new one is super comfy since I used routered 3/4" ply to replace the metal, and used 2" high density medium firm foam topped with 1" Dacron.  Version 2 I made with the same, and topped the foam with another 1" high density lower firmness (softer) foam and didn't pull the leather as tight.  Also did a surround of 1" of the firm foam so you can't feel the plywood anywhere.  It is not as pretty since there are resulting wrinkles, but even more comfortable.  Kinda peeved at myself for taking this long to replace it!

YinTx

That is one grand looking job there.

You embarrass me, the back on my stool seat has some duck/duct/gaffer tape holding part of it together, I must recover that in leather. Its such a simple job compared to what you've done.

:clapping:

1 hour ago, fredk said:

That is one grand looking job there.

Thank you!  I have about 8-10 other chairs that need covering now... suspect I'll be fairly good at it when I finish!

YinTx

Just wanted to post a pic of the second version sitting on top of the first version for comparison.  Literally only 1" more of foam, most of the difference comes from not pulling the leather tight.  As I mentioned, not near as pretty, but way more comfy.  It'll probably be the one I use for the tooling bench instead!

YinTx

Seat2AfterLoRes.thumb.jpg.8c86b493bdeb500484b70386fe9617e5.jpg