William Bloke

The difference between supplers

First thing this morning I placed two orders, both for about £400 ($525).

One with J Wood Leathers. Everything was in stock, and when I rang an hour or so later to add some extra bits, was told it was no problem, and as I was ordering before 1pm everything would be definitely be delivered tomorrow morning at no extra postage cost.

The second order was with Abbey England.

Half the stuff I wanted was out of stock with now idea when it would be available, and when I asked if what they did have could possibly go today or tomorrow so it would arrive early next week, the woman on the phone actually laughed at me.

I swear Abbey are trying to bankrupt me.

Edited by William Bloke

Yes have noticed certain things have been out of stock for a long time now, worrying times me thinks. Do you have any other suppliers you could use.

Folks, let's keep in mind that any single transaction is but a snapshot in time.  Had other material been ordered, perhaps Abbey would have had all of it.  Are we to believe that J. Wood has no "stock-outs"?  Maybe you just got lucky?

My point is posts such as this really are subjective and aren't necessarily indicative of everyday experience.  So are they really helpful?

10 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Folks, let's keep in mind that any single transaction is but a snapshot in time.  Had other material been ordered, perhaps Abbey would have had all of it.  Are we to believe that J. Wood has no "stock-outs"?  Maybe you just got lucky?

My point is posts such as this really are subjective and aren't necessarily indicative of everyday experience.  So are they really helpful?

I spend about £6000 a year with Abbey. This is part of a pattern and not based on a single transaction.

They have bought up a lot of the saddle trade businesses in the UK, the most notable being Sedgwick, but have also have a near monopoly on quality lorinery, especially harness stuff. If they are failing it will do lasting harm to the British saddle trade.

If other people are getting the feeling they are over extended I think it's fair that we know.

1 hour ago, jcuk said:

Yes have noticed certain things have been out of stock for a long time now, worrying times me thinks. Do you have any other suppliers you could use.

It's the lorinery I struggle with. I have given up buying leather from them. I use White's for proper bridle, and Baker's for nice shoulders and harness.

19 minutes ago, William Bloke said:

It's the lorinery I struggle with. I have given up buying leather from them. I use White's for proper bridle, and Baker's for nice shoulders and harness.

Took a quick look to see if there are any other suppliers, went here to check, think it says it all if you are looking for UK made unfortunaly.

https://heritagecrafts.org.uk/lorinery/

49 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Yes i agree but i have noticed for a long time things that are a staple in the saddlery trade have been out of stock for a while which is not good for the trade itself and all those that rely on that supply. As what has already been said Abbey have a saved few companies that were staple suppliers in the industry, yes under the umbrella of the brand which is Abbey, so this is why its worry times because if they disappear the said former companies saved by Abbey go too for ever i fear. 

1 minute ago, jcuk said:

Yes i agree but i have noticed for a long time things that are a staple in the saddlery trade have been out of stock for a while which is not good for the trade itself and all those that rely on that supply. As what has already been said Abbey have a saved few companies that were staple suppliers in the industry, yes under the umbrella of the brand which is Abbey, so this is why its worry times because if they disappear the said former companies saved by Abbey go too for ever i fear. 

Fair enough.  I am just sensitive to criticisms regarding vendors because I've seen some good suppliers disparaged here on the forum.  And instead of trying to contact the seller to find out what's up, the customer comes here to vent.  Venting is OK, I suppose, but time is best spent trying to fix the problem.  If a vendor is becoming undependable they need to know your feelings and how and why it is affecting your business.  I can assure you that distributors (I currently work for one, not in leather though) don't want to be out of stock on vital products.  Just the opposite.  You can't sell from an empty wagon.  But supply in all sorts of industries sucks right now.  Try finding certain bicycle components!  And on and on it goes.  

1 minute ago, Tugadude said:

Fair enough.  I am just sensitive to criticisms regarding vendors because I've seen some good suppliers disparaged here on the forum.  And instead of trying to contact the seller to find out what's up, the customer comes here to vent.  Venting is OK, I suppose, but time is best spent trying to fix the problem.  If a vendor is becoming undependable they need to know your feelings and how and why it is affecting your business.  I can assure you that distributors (I currently work for one, not in leather though) don't want to be out of stock on vital products.  Just the opposite.  You can't sell from an empty wagon.  But supply in all sorts of industries sucks right now.  Try finding certain bicycle components!  And on and on it goes.  

Yes there are wider logistic issues currently here at the moment affecting lots of areas of business over here at the moment so hopefully things will improve soon. 

2 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

To stretch the bicycle metaphor. This is the equivalent of a company buying SRAM, Shimano and Campagnolo, and then entirely running out of derailleurs.

Their inability to get me 4 looped collar buckles within 6 months cost me and my family five thousand pounds.

I have started buying old harness just for the buckles.

1 hour ago, William Bloke said:

To stretch the bicycle metaphor. This is the equivalent of a company buying SRAM, Shimano and Campagnolo, and then entirely running out of derailleurs.

Their inability to get me 4 looped collar buckles within 6 months cost me and my family five thousand pounds.

I have started buying old harness just for the buckles.

Understood.  Consolidation is a continual thing over here in the U.S. where a lot of companies see acquisition as the quickest route to growing.  Sales stagnate so in order to grow, they buy a competitor.  Or an allied company.

Maybe Abbey is burdened by the headaches that come with acquisitions.  Trust me, they are many!