Spyros

Laptop briefcase

7 hours ago, Ozarksleathersmith said:

Not bad for a copy. And to quote your response to a previous post "I really like using darker handles and straps out of bridle to create a two-tone effect for my bags" don't see any darker handles here. Looks OK though.

Well it's not a copy as such, you wont see an exactly same one anywhere.  Rather it is a mix of design features I've seen elsewhere.  For example, I can't claim it as my idea to use a horse collar closure on a bag, obviously I saw it somewhere.  But the dimensions, curves, pockets, colour combinations etc, I designed from scratch.  

You don't see any darker handles here because this was a response to your previous post "How about you show us some of your work so we can see what you're all about", not to show you two tone bags.

To illustrate the two tone effect this one below is a better example.  I call this " the airline travel bag", it was a custom job I did for an air hostess.  It is intentionally boxy to maximise internal space and at the same time be easy to stow away and also fit under an airline seat.  It is light (no lining, no reinforcements, thin leather) but at the same time very durable and it holds its shape because it's made out of firm bridle leather.  It fits a specific dopp kit, small laptop or ipad (in vertical orientation), A4 paperwork (lots of COVID certificates needed to travel these days) and also chargers, headphones, notepad.  It also has an external zipper pocket that gives easy access to phone and passport wallet, and features an easy one-hand closure.

IMG_20211213_091239-XL.jpg

IMG_20211213_091257-XL.jpg

IMG_20211213_091329-XL.jpg

It's relatively cheap, quick and easy to make, practical, not too bad to look at, and most importantly she likes it.

The brass top reinforcement is my  favourite detail. It  always looks a bit odd when people try to hide the metal bar but making it a feature instead is so much more elegant.

Stay Safe.

14 hours ago, AndrewWR said:

The brass top reinforcement is my  favourite detail. It  always looks a bit odd when people try to hide the metal bar but making it a feature instead is so much more elegant.

Stay Safe.

Thank you sir.  I find it looks good if it's polished well.  This one went through 9 grits of sandpaper all the way down to steel wool :)

Edited by Spyros

So these reinforcement bars don't exist? I've been looking as well. I've seen what k&s has to offer. But no one has found a specific metal bar/strip that is specific to leathercraft? Seems like many bag maker use them. How could there not be a source? Everyone fabricates them from a raw piece of metal? I find that hard to believe. But I can't find them anywhere

37 minutes ago, Meandmy1963 said:

So these reinforcement bars don't exist? I've been looking as well. I've seen what k&s has to offer. But no one has found a specific metal bar/strip that is specific to leathercraft? Seems like many bag maker use them. How could there not be a source? Everyone fabricates them from a raw piece of metal? I find that hard to believe. But I can't find them anywhere

https://www.leathercraftpattern.com/Leather-supplies/stainless-steel-bar-for-Kelly

https://www.leathercraftpattern.com/Leather-supplies/stainless-steel-bridge-bar

Spyros Thanks for that information.  I'll try to incorporate it into my bag.

Thank you for the response. I've done some digging and found a few myself.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/690390600/the-briefcase-top-reinforcement-plate?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=purse+reinforcement&ref=sr_gallery-1-20&frs=1&sts=1

https://madeonjupiterleatherlab.com/collections/hardware/products/molded-vegetable-tanned-handle-filler

Those are all I was able to find. These all look nothing like the brass bar that was used in your bag Spyros. I have yet to find anything that is anywhere near aesthetically pleasing enough to highlight the way that you did on your above bag. If anyone comes across anything like this, please share. Thank you 

53 minutes ago, Meandmy1963 said:

Thank you for the response. I've done some digging and found a few myself.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/690390600/the-briefcase-top-reinforcement-plate?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=purse+reinforcement&ref=sr_gallery-1-20&frs=1&sts=1

https://madeonjupiterleatherlab.com/collections/hardware/products/molded-vegetable-tanned-handle-filler

Those are all I was able to find. These all look nothing like the brass bar that was used in your bag Spyros. I have yet to find anything that is anywhere near aesthetically pleasing enough to highlight the way that you did on your above bag. If anyone comes across anything like this, please share. Thank you 

Well the one I used is brass, those guys are selling steel.  Steel also looks great if polished, like the one from that Russian seller on Etsy that you linked, but honestly paying all that money and then waiting for the package to arrive all the way from Russia, and worry if the size and holes and thickness will work well for your bag, I don't know... it feels easier to grab a piece of metal from your local hardware store and make it yourself.  I mean if you can make bags this is nothing, all you need is a hacksaw and some sort of a sander. 

If you're making many, you can always find a metal fabrication business near you or even an amateur knife maker / welder who has some tools in his garage, these guys (if they agree to it) can churn those out in minutes, probably for a small fee.

Edited by Spyros

Wow, both of those bags are beautiful. 

My favourite detail is the brass stiffener bar. 

Edited by OldCanuck

On 2/27/2022 at 12:50 AM, Meandmy1963 said:

Ace Hardware sells brass straps and would fit the purpose.