jadub

Adler 869 or equivalent Juki

Hello, I'm in the market for a new cylinder arm sewing machine. This may be a silly question but I have a chance to buy a nice sewing machine to make the ubiquitous leather bag. I'd like it to be able to handle size 92-277 thread. I don't really use lighter than 92 and have never used 277 but I'd like the option if I make some small luggage as I'm hoping to. I'm thinking the Adler 869. I know it can't handle 277 according to Weave but it seem to be coming closest to meeting my needs. Unfortunately I am put off by the way I perceive German manufactures do business here in the states. My perception is that they charge a lot for their product, which is reasonable given the quality, and make parts difficult and expensive to come by post-purchase. My impression of the Japanese business model on the other hand is that they make their products state of the art and provide a good post-purchase experience. I hope this isn't offensive to anyone. I'm basing this mostly on my perception of the car industry, Mercedes, Audi, BMW vs Lexus, Infinity, Toyota etc. but I also have a Pfaff and find parts for that difficult to come by. I think I've read that parts for a Juki are easier. I'm thinking about these 2 brands because I'm hoping there is a difference in stitch quality and user experience that makes the extra money worth it. Otherwise I'll get a Techsew 4800 pro and save money and get some bells and whistles.

I just found an old thread started by Uwe extolling the Juki LS-2342. Looks like an amazing machine and the H series would handle #69-#266 thread according to the brochure Uwe posted. There don't seem to be any available in the US based on a quick internet search however. I do have a Juki dealer nearby that I like. Unfortunately he's retiring so I would have to strike fast and hope for the best. They seemed to cost about $5500 back in 2018. I imagine it's more than that now. If it's competitive with the Adler with the Weaver business discount it seems like a good option.

The 2341,42 are Juki copies of the DA869.   It is just like the 2810 is a copy of the 867.  Juki is a very good machine.  To my knowledge, the 2341,42 and the 869 are the only new 3rd generation machines out in the cylinder arm.    Pfaff, Consew, Seiko and clones are not available at this time.   The Juki's should be cheaper than the Adler.  I sewed and worked on an 869 with all the toys for about 6 years.  Hell of a machine.

glenn

I decided against going all in on an Adler or juki and went with a Techsew 4800. It arrived without issue and I have been using it for a while. I don’t sew too much because I’m really slow at everything but it seems to be working fine. There are some issues I think but will wait to do a more complete review until I’m certain they aren’t user error. for now I’ll say I’m not overly impressed with fit and finish but maybe Pfaff and juki are similar. I haven’t seen new ones. Functionally, it seems good. Again my level of experience doesn’t allow me to comment too much on quality here. I really wish I had access to a good dealer who could demonstrate machines before purchasing. Sorry I can’t provide more info to those in the market for a machine but hopefully I’ll be able to be more confident in my assessments in the future.