Frodo

I saw something

I saw something on a vintage Japanese holster   and i want a bag full

Has anyone seen these and if so where can I get them?

IMG_1662.JPG.fef12c33aa92af891cbd39b046cfe2d4.JPG

The post looks like a sam browne stud, maybe that will help with the search.  The other part if you can't find it may be able to make it easy enough...nifty for sure.

YinTx

G'Day Frodo,

I just had a look around myself, under the headings, ' Sam Browne Posts' ,  vintage military holsters, vintage bag clasps,  military bag closures , but no luck .  The Sam browne post comes up, but not the other bit.  Perhaps modify a hand bag clasp? Or get a piece of brass plate, and make one? 

HS

I think its a Sam Brown stud going thru a key escutcheon plate. You can get them in a quadzillion of sizes, shapes & materials

eg, just a few examples

TrafalgarESC_PBL.JPG

polished-stainless-steel-ball-bearing-hi

1560956557-041518400.jpg

aadfd466b1a2ed47ef77f1704cad19d6.jpg

PS. Once upon a time the UK old 1/2p, old 1p and decimal 1p and 2p were made of bronze. My father, who was a cabinet maker, used to take one of these coins and by drilling and filing made key escutcheon plates for antique furniture he used to restore. Its a simple job.

Now-a-days these coins are steel coated in copper and not so suitable. I think you'd need to go back to pre-1992 to get fully bronze coins. I guess you'd only have the very old 1c coin in bronze. Modern ones are made in a zinc alloy afaik

I've seen these a couple of times in Japan, Frodo, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find them on the 'net.

These units are not like most Sam Browne posts I've seen. The post is straight, like a button stud, as opposed to tapered like a lot of Sam Browne studs, and the top is domed with a flat back more like the profile of a Chicago screw.

As others have suggested, you might find a button stud and a self made plate will work for you.

Regards,

Arturo

Must be a country thing; all the SB studs I have and use have a straight post

Like this;

s-l1600.jpg

I agree that the oval brass piece with 4 rivets look great!

There was an Indian company that advertised on this forum about a week ago that could make just about anything. And they have a store in the US. I can only find one of his posts now. There was a fairly active discussion on the same posting in "saddle tack ressource" (If I remember correctly). I think he removed that post because the discussion turned a bit against his company.

Long story short, they manufacture in India and showed pictures of workers with less than acceptable (by western standards) of PPE, drilling, machining, casting etc. just in flip flops and no safety gear whatsoever. Anyway, he can probably make the needed pieces for you. 

disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the globalmetalco etc. 

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/97280-brass-buckles-for-leather-belts-small-buckles-for-watch-straps-saddlery-and-hardware/?tab=comments#comment-660325

I really like freds suggestion.  I am going down a rabbit hole looking for small key eschtions

I think the size that would fit a music box or such as that

The image I posted is a WW2  japenese nambu #14 clam holster...

If anyone is interested in the holster holler

Sorry for the late reply.  If you search for "Keyhole Hangers"  you will come up with a lot of options.  You will find them in Hardware stores with the picture hanging hardware.