thekid77

thin leather - bevel edge with sandpaper/Emory board??

hello friends, has anyone beveled the edge of thin leathers with sandpaper (around 400 grit) or Emory board??

I struggle to control the depth of the bevel with my common edgers, and find it easier and more controlled to just sand off the sharp corners with sandpaper or emory.....

anybody else do this?? thoughts??

Edited by thekid77

Well, it depends on the leather and how thick it is.

Usually, I'll sand anything under 1.0 mm. I generally use a Barry King 00 edger on anything thicker than that up to about 2.0 mm but a lot of that depends on what kind of profile I'm looking for. Generally, as the leather thickness creeps up, using the 00 edger gives a squarer profile and more pronounced shoulder. I really like that look for some applications. Other applications, not so much.

I use 400 grit for shaping, if needed, and for my first pass on an edge with more than one layer but I find it a little coarse for just taking the sharp edges off.  I generally use 800 or 1,000 grit for my second sanding pass and knock the edges off then. From there I go to 1,500 grit and then on to slicking. If it's a single layer of thinner leather, I usually start sanding with 1,000 grit and progress from there. No point in tearing an edge up anymore than needed with coarser grits.

If I have a long edge that I need to address, I'll clamp the leather under a metal bar at the edge of the bench. It gives me a lot more control doing it that way.

Regards,

Arturo

Edited by Arturomex
clarity

For thin leather I use a Ron's #1 Montana edger.  You could put the edge on top of something like a ruler or cutting mat so that the edge of the edger is not rubbing on the table.  At that thinness, does it even need edging?  But yes, sandpaper on a block would work.  I sand diagonally to the edge.

22 hours ago, Arturomex said:

Well, it depends on the leather and how thick it is.

Usually, I'll sand anything under 1.0 mm. I generally use a Barry King 00 edger on anything thicker than that up to about 2.0 mm but a lot of that depends on what kind of profile I'm looking for. Generally, as the leather thickness creeps up, using the 00 edger gives a squarer profile and more pronounced shoulder. I really like that look for some applications. Other applications, not so much.

I use 400 grit for shaping, if needed, and for my first pass on an edge with more than one layer but I find it a little coarse for just taking the sharp edges off.  I generally use 800 or 1,000 grit for my second sanding pass and knock the edges off then. From there I go to 1,500 grit and then on to slicking. If it's a single layer of thinner leather, I usually start sanding with 1,000 grit and progress from there. No point in tearing an edge up anymore than needed with coarser grits.

If I have a long edge that I need to address, I'll clamp the leather under a metal bar at the edge of the bench. It gives me a lot more control doing it that way.

Regards,

Arturo

Thank you very much Arturo!! I appreciate you sharing

14 hours ago, mike02130 said:

For thin leather I use a Ron's #1 Montana edger.  You could put the edge on top of something like a ruler or cutting mat so that the edge of the edger is not rubbing on the table.  At that thinness, does it even need edging?  But yes, sandpaper on a block would work.  I sand diagonally to the edge.

hey Mike! I will have to try Ron's edger.....I've heard really good things about them

6 hours ago, thekid77 said:

hey Mike! I will have to try Ron's edger.....I've heard really good things about them

Yeah, I have a Palosanto #0, a Barry King #00 and Ron's #1.  They are all the same size (hmm, go figure?).  Keep in mind, if the leather is soft and floppy, no edger will do a proper job.  I use Uniters edge paint on chrome tan and floppy veg tan.

Are you going to slick/power slick the edge after the bevel?  

If you're talking 2 layers of 5/6oz and up, or a single layer of 7/8oz I recommend a 1" belt sander.   I use 1x42 Kalamazoo sanders w/100 grit  belts.  If you plan to slick the edge/s a good belt sanding makes a great surface for it. No sense in messing around with fine grit sandpapers. 

I only use edgers on odd pieces and when wet molding leather.   If it's wet your edger needs to be razor sharp.

I find the Weaver edgers to be very easy to use and easy to sharpen....Kind of like shaving with a safety razor for those new to edgers.  Did I also mention they're pretty affordable?

Edited by Cumberland Highpower