Cumberland Highpower

adler 69 and 67 bobbins

Ok, I pulled a couple Adlers out of the corner where they've been for 6-8 years....

I'm setting up for a new project and pulled out an Adler 69-372 and an Adler 67-373.   

Now, after setting them up, I am a little surprised the bobbins are slightly different in size.  the bobbins in the 69 are slightly smaller than what's in the 67...And the 67 bobbins will not fit in the 69.

It appears a few vendors online list them as the same part and should be interchangeable...But now I'm left wondering.....I had always just assumed they were the same size, and I never directly tested bobbins from one machine to the other in the past.  

I'm pretty sure the 67-373 doesn't have a 167 hook assembly in it, and the bobbin casing in the 67 is marked adler.  the casing in the 69 appears to be original also, but I cannot find any markings on it other than a "DA"   Assuming that means Durkopp Adler, although isn't the hook and needle logo.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

The hook assemblies on the 67 and 69 are two totally different designs, a vertical axis design on the 67 vs. a horizontal axis design on the 69. The two hook designs have very little in common I would not expect the bobbins to be identical.

As far as i know the bobins of my pfaff 138 fit in my adler 69

4 hours ago, Uwe said:

The hook assemblies on the 67 and 69 are two totally different designs, a vertical axis design on the 67 vs. a horizontal axis design on the 69. The two hook designs have very little in common I would not expect the bobbins to be identical.

True they are different types, but I dont see see why they wouldn't be made to utilize the same bobbins.  the difference between the bobbins is very small.  maybe .020" in diameter.  Even German Engineers with a propensity for excess wouldn't go that far, would they? :)

When I look online, most retailers reference that the bobbins should fit both?   It would appear, at least with my machines, 69 bobbins fit the 67, but not vice versa.  I'm planning to order some extra bobbins and perhaps pre-wound bobbins....Just wanting to get it straight before laying down the cash.

Maybe I should try the PFAFF bobbins like Michael mentioned. I have access to a Pfaff 145, maybe the same?

Ok, a side question, not related to bobbins:

My 67 seems to have a loose cog wheel on the top shaft. It seems to be just a touch loose.   I believe a setscrew needs to be tightened up.  Looking it over, it appears the screw must be under the belt and not to the side like on the 167.  What is the best way to tighten this up? Can I reach up from the bottom? Is it a slotted screw or hex? (If hex what size?).   Can I just slip the belt off the lower cog and access it through the machine from the bottom?

This 67 is in excellent shape, 98%.  I don't know it's age though, could be from late 60's. (Chandler import in Chandler table w/Belgian made motor).  
The belt appears slightly different than the timing belts I see online.  Must be an older type, as it's made from what appears to be black polyester cords with steel cleats crimped over them.  Belt looks to be in great shape.

Given the great shape of the machine, and it's limited use,  I'd imagine someone at Adler forgot to tighten a screw a way back when.

On 10/4/2021 at 11:53 AM, Cumberland Highpower said:

I'm pretty sure the 67-373 doesn't have a 167 hook assembly in it

I believe you are correct with this. AFAIK the 167 has a bigger bobbin than the 67 and probably also has a bigger hook assembly because of it.